Animal Care Job at Skywalker Ranch: Skywalker Ranch in Marin County, California is looking for a site laborer to support and assist with all animal care operations and related grounds for the Ranch Stable operation and Site Manager on a variety of grounds, garden and physical plant projects. https://skywalker.workable.com/
Apply here: https://skywalker.workable.com/j/CD93856629
Skywalker Ranch is looking for a site laborer to support and assist with all animal care operations and related grounds for the Ranch Stable operation and Site Manager on a variety of grounds, garden and physical plant projects.
- Assist in caring for and feeding of Waygu cattle, and breeding bulls. Operate cattle corrals for sorting, doctoring, weighing, vaccinating and medical treatment. Requires knowledge of proper livestock restraining measures.
- Support care, grooming, medication and training for stable animals, including horses, goats, chickens, and chinchillas.
- Operate and perform general maintenance and repairs on associated equipment, such as, Backhoe, ATV, chain saw, weed eater, New Holland tractor, etc.)
- Operate Backhoe and New Holland farm tractor to achieve timely results, i.e. turning manure/compost pile, excavation of ditches, grading roads, loading hay bales, etc.
- Perform facility, landscape, and fencing repairs as needed, including the selection and oversight of appropriate contractors as necessary for larger projects
- Assist Site manager and Cattleman in all related site work, including fencing, welding, road work, Septic systems, water systems and other facilities and site maintenance, as needed.
- Maintain all rotational pastures and fence line on property.
- Maintain an area where employees, clients and their families can enjoy the animals in a positive and safe environment.
- Willingness to work in organic garden, vineyards, olive orchard, as needed.
- Make animals available, and handle as appropriate, for Skysound recordings as needed.
- Tours/stable visitors
- Vineyard and olive irrigation/ trapping
- Deliveries; beef, wine
Education / Experience:
- 3 to 5 years relevant Animal husbandry & Vet tech experience required.
- 3 to 5 years Range Management experience.
- Must possess valid CA driver’s license.
- Experience in or willingness to learn repairs of water systems such as Potable, Irrigation, Fire Protection and Septic.
- Experience in or willingness to learn operation of backhoe, Gradall, forklifts, farm tractors and rented equipment.
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Be available, on call, for feeding and emergency needs on weekends, holidays and after hours as needed.
- Ability to follow instruction & work unsupervised on all standard duties.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to interact effectively and professionally with others
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
- Willingness to work in Organic garden as needed.
- Willingness to work in Vineyard and Olive Grove as needed.
- Willingness to work weekends and provide after-hours emergency support and response as needed.
- Willingness to learn and execute additional responsibilities not listed above as directed.
- PC proficient in Word and Outlook.