Alpenglow Mushrooms Internship: Alpenglow Mushrooms LLC is looking for two Individuals to help become the backbone of a 4 season organic oyster mushroom farm in the heart of the western slope of Colorado. We are one of only two exotic commercial mushroom farms in the entire state, and the first in the area (Ridgway Colorado.) This has been exciting for us and the locals living in our surrounding communities such as: Telluride, Ouray, Montrose, Durango, and Grand Junction. The surrounding San Juan mountains are an epicenter for mushroom foraging and mycological fascination with the Telluride Mushroom Festival happening at the hight of the foraging season in August. These positions will likely lead to part and full time positions on the farm for production,farmers market and restaurant sales, and farm management at the end of the Fall season. Interns will be awarded a 75$ stipend each week through out the internship, and a share of oyster mushrooms as well. This would be a great oportunity to learn about organic mushroom production and become a vital part in the local food movement. There will also be oportunities to work with Buckhorn Gardens which is a four season organic vegetable, meat, and dairy farm just across the way. We are a family owned farm located at 6800ft elevation on 20 acres of Juniper and pinion pine forest. Ridgway, and Montrose are the closest towns and are about 15 minutes drive to either. Interns must have their own vehicle for transportation outside of farm duties. Currently we do not offer intern housing. We will be able to offer 4 person tents with shaded camping and hook-upsr/electric for campers. We will be able to provide use of our residence including: bathrooms/showers, kitchen, common areas, etc. Our property also has great views of the San Juan Mountains, with plenty of mountain life recreation near by.
Desired skills and qualifications:
1. Ability to work as a team player.
2. Willingness to take initiative and follow-through on tasks.
3. Strong oral and written communication skills.
4. Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, including students/youth, people of different cultures, etc.
5. Pragmatic and outcome-driven, yet positive and forward thinking.
6. Ability to physically work within a variety of conditions (i.e. endurance to work long days, in diverse weather conditions, must be able to lift 60lbs).
7. Reliable transportation.
8. Flexible schedule including working on weekends and nights.
10. Proficiency in data entry, Microsoft Word, Excel, Social Media.
Experience working with volunteers.
Comfortable speaking in front of people and/or teaching experience.
Grant writing experience.
Farm marketing or marketing experience.
Interest in helping develop a more sustainable and just local food system.
1. Assist in planting, cultivating, maintaining, and harvesting crops and with general farm maintenance, and CLEANING!
2. Assist in developing and maintaining farm-based educational and volunteer programs.
3. Assist with CSA program, farmers markets, restaurant sales and delivery, and other community service programs & events.
4. Assist with data entry and recording.
Please send cover letter and resume with 3 references to Joel Rayes, owner at Alpenglowmushrooms@gmail.com. Deadline to apply is April 31st 2016