Produce Project Farm Manager Job at Capital Roots in Troy, New York
About Capital Roots: Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in the Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to nourish healthy communities by providing access to fresh foods and green space for all.
TITLE: Produce Project Farm Manager REPORTS TO: Grow Center Planner
Capital Roots’ Produce Project is a year-round job training program that increases employment and educational opportunity for underserved youth. After school and during the summer, high school students learn and participate in the operation of a two acre urban farm, and are engaged in job and life skills curriculum. The Produce Project Farm Manager is responsible for planning the farm year, executing that plan, and marketing and selling the produce. The Farm Manager works closely with the Produce Project Educator to uphold program culture; maintaining a learning-oriented environment that fosters self-reflection and assessment, encourages team work, and promotes positive and effective communication. The Produce Project Farm Manager acts as a role model for all students, interns, and volunteers associated with the program.
Produce Project Farm Manager RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Plan and oversee year round organic farm production on two acres of urban land, with two high tunnels
- Work closely with Produce Project Educator to maintain and advance program goals
- Manage Farm Assistant, interns and Student Leaders to optimize farm production
- Delegate and teach farm tasks to youth, with the assistance of Educator, Student Leaders, and interns
- Plan and execute group volunteer events on the farm of up to 40 people
- Attend the Saturday farmers market each week, June – October, with the assistance of two youth
- With Project Educator, integrate the year-round week-by-week job and life skills curriculum into the farming schedule
- Farming experience required – at least a year-long apprenticeship
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills
- At least 1-2 years professional work experience out of college/university. Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
- Experience with small engine use & maintenance recommended
- Driver’s license with clean record required.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions and lift heavy objects
- Comfort working with and mentoring a diverse population of youth
- Working knowledge of commercial vegetable production including propagation, harvest and all facets of cultivation. Experience working with High Tunnels and Organic systems preferred.
- Organizational skills, including the ability to coordinate and work in multidisciplinary teams
- Good time management skills and ability to prioritize needs among competing demands.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
- Displays initiative and thinks and acts creatively.
- A willingness to roll up one’s sleeves and contribute as needed to advance the program and organization.
Produce Project Farm Manager SALARY & BENEFITS:
This position is full-time hourly position ($12/hr) plus overtime. Fully paid health insurance. Generous vacation and holiday leave. Retirement plan. Flexible work environment.
To learn more about Capital Roots, go to www.capitalroots.org. Capital Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position, especially candidates of color. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We will not discriminate in our hiring on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.
To Apply for the Produce Project Farm Manager Job, Send cover letter and resume to:
Matthew Schueler, Grow Center Planner
594 River Street, Troy NY 12180
NO CALLS PLEASE!