PAT’S PASTURED APPRENTICESHIPS 2017 – Rhode Island
Pat’s Pastured was founded in 2002 and provides the highest quality pasture-raised and grass-fed meats all grown in Rhode Island. Our goal is to provide our livestock with a life that allows them to express their natural instincts fully in a pasture environment. That means that pigs get to root, run and play; chickens get to peck, scratch and crow; turkeys goggle and strut; cows eat grass outside, NOT corn in confinement.
100+ acres of pasture and woodlots spread over a several pieces of land in Rhode Island. All land is managed in an intensive rotational management system with multiple species of livestock. The main farm is located in East Greenwich, Rhode Island. All meat and eggs are sold through farmers markets (5 summer, 3 winter in 2016), Meat/Poultry CSA, restaurant sales, buying clubs and on-farm sales. The farm also operates a food truck and cart that delivers farm-to-table food at farmers’ markets and special events.
- Pasture-raised pigs
- Pastured, Free-range broilers
- Pasture-raised turkeys
- Grass-fed beef steers
- Free-range laying hens
- Free-Range laying ducks
- Livestock Guardian Dogs
- All poultry are processed on-farm in a RI Health Department mobile processing unit
- Daily watering, feeding and pasture rotation of broiler chickens, laying hens, ducks, turkeys, pigs and cattle
- Management of chick brooder
- Equipment maintenance
- Product delivery
- Poultry slaughter & processing
- Assist with sales of products
- Assisting with products processing, packaging & inventory
- Building fence
- General carpentry and construction
- Enjoys working with animals
- Willingness to work long hours in all weather conditions
- Willingness to learn
- Valid drivers license
- Ability to follow directions
- Able to work independently or in a group
- Ability to lift 50lbs on regular basis required
- Commitment to work full 9 months (or full 3 months for summer apprenticeship)
- Good communication skills
- Punctual and reliable
There are 3 apprenticeship positions available for the 2017 season. 2 positions are 9 months long running from March through end of November. The additional position runs from beginning of June until the end of August. Apprentices receive housing on-farm (shared living and rustic), $175 a week living stipend, access to meat, eggs, CSA vegetable share and other goodies from farm friends. In addition there are monthly educational opportunities at local farms, restaurant and with various food producers. This is a full time plus position (5 ½ day work week). Anyone interested must come to the farm for a one-day checkout. Attitude is everything. No previous experience required
If you are interested in the Pat’s Pastured Apprenticeships, please send a letter answering the questions below, 3 work references and contact information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions please contact us by email. To learn more about Pat’s Pastured visit our website www.patspastured.com or Facebook.
- Why are you interested in the Pat’s Pastured Apprenticeships this season?
- How does this apprenticeship fit into your personal & professional goals now and in the future?
- What skills would you like to learn from this experience?
- How would a past employer describe you?
- How would a co-worker describe you?
- What skills/experience do you bring to this position that you think would be beneficial?
- Do you have prior experience living in a group-housing situation?
- Anything else you want to tell us?