Employment Opportunity: Farmer Wanted at Dubuque Rescue Mission in Iowa – 2017
Applications Due by February 2017
The Dubuque Rescue Mission Community Farm is a dynamic leader in urban food production in the tristate area. The food grown at our half acre plot goes to our free meal program and to area community members in need. We also run a successful microgreens business, operate a 20’x50′ greenhouse, and host over 300 visitors to the space. The Dubuque Rescue Mission (dbqrescue.org) is seeking a motivated individual to lead our farming operations and coordinate food production with our Kitchen Staff.
Goals for position:
- Grow produce for the Rescue Mission Kitchen operations and community members.
- Support resilient food production models for our community.
Summary of Expectations:
- Maintain gardens that are ecologically friendly and safe.
- Keep an organized portfolio of gardening practices and skills learned.
- Work in all weather and seasons.
- Project manage multiple initiatives.
- Lead shelter residents (men) in garden and provide support when possible.
- Welcome visitors and volunteers to the gardens.
- Show care towards the animals.
- Manage volunteers, farm operations and budgets
- Maintain existing grant requirements and apply for additional grant funds as appropriate.
- Work independently.
Requirements for employment:
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and follow-through with tasks.
- Eagerness to share information with others by hosting school groups, visitors, and shelter residents.
- Experience leading groups of volunteers of various ages.
- Experience managing complex projects.
- Experience with sustainable farming principles.
- *No legal restrictions which limit work with children.
Opportunities to develop skillsets:
- Exploration: Work within a dynamic not-for-profit model. Advance personal knowledge of farming principles to improve farm’s operations.
- Education: Enroll in Beginning Farmer Training sessions at Collaborative Farm and other professional development opportunities.
- Intro to GAP (Good Agricultural Practices): Practice journaling and other record keeping skills as the Dubuque Mission works towards following GAP.
- Leadership: Operate as Manager of this small farming operation.
Farmer Wanted: How to apply
Please send resume with salary requirement to:
398 Main St.
Dubuque, IA 52001