Farm Manager Position Available in Colombus, Ohio for 2017
Urban Farms of Central Ohio, an initiative of Mid-Ohio Foodbank, transforms vacant sites in underserved neighborhoods into thriving farms that provide communities with increased access to fresh produce, jobs and job training, and opportunities for civic engagement.
Currently, UFCO operates two five acre sites in Columbus, Clarfield Farm and Wheatland Farm. Both farm sites use intensive, organic growing practices, and high-tunnels for season extension to grow high-quality produce for a variety of beneficiaries and/or market buyers. The farm sites also benefit the communities in which they’re located in by being a space for education, job readiness training, and civic engagement.
Farm Manager POSITION SUMMARY:
The Farm Manager will be responsible for developing, overseeing, and managing Clarfield Farm and Wheatland Farm. The Farm Manager will oversee all aspects of vegetable production, the operation of four high-tunnels and seedling start greenhouse, produce marketing and distribution, and facilitate on the farm training and educational programming with the Program Manager. The Farm Manager will also be responsible for recruiting, managing, and leading support staff, apprentices, and community volunteers.
Farm Manager Position PRIMARY DUTIES:
- Manage farm business by creating, implementing, and managing annual farm plan including farm budget, operation, production, marketing, sales, and distribution plans in accordance to business plan.
- Develop labor and work plans, provide supervision and management of farm help including Site Leads, Seasonal Farm Assistants, apprentices, and community volunteers.
- Operate, maintain, and enhance farm infrastructure, equipment, and materials to manage and improve sites, including high-tunnels.
- Oversee produce marketing and the distribution of produce through multiple streams, including restaurants, farmer’s markets, CSA, and farm stand.
- Participates in, when necessary, and leads daily farm-related tasks including planting, weeding, harvesting, irrigating, and general maintenance.
- Collect and maintain all records to prepare monthly reports on the status of the urban farms for supervisor and Mid-Ohio Foodbank leadership, and to comply with organic certification requirements. Work closely with supervisor to plan, coordinate, and budget for urban farm sites.
- Build and maintain relationships with local community residents and stakeholders, volunteer groups, local restaurants and buyers, community advocates for anti-poverty and health initiatives, and philanthropic entities.
- Assists with general Strategic Initiative activities, including the identification and assessment of future sites, and development and implementation of educational and training programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Education and Certifications: High School Diploma/GED required. Associates Degree or two years of college preferred. Candidate must have a valid Driver’s License. Food Safety Certification (provided by Mid-Ohio Foodbank).
Experience: Three-five years of sustainable vegetable production experience required. Knowledge of managing a small to mid-size sustainable, natural farm operation with both machinery and hand tools, from annual planning to all aspects of caring for the farm. Experience in leading and managing diverse individuals and groups of people. Experience in marketing produce to customers.
Skills/Competencies: Strong interpersonal, written and oral communications skills, proficiency in Microsoft Office. Must have strong organizational skills, excellent attention to detail, ability to prioritize and multi-task, problem solving skills, and be a self-starter. Ability to develop relationships with community leaders, business owners and volunteers. Understanding of community food security and passion for food justice and social change to contribute to the growth and evolution of the project.
FARM MANAGER POSITION JOB CONDITIONS:
Working Conditions: Must have the ability to work outside in all-weather performing manual farm labor as necessary.
Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Frequent standing, walking, bending, and lifting required. Flexible work schedule, evenings and weekend hours may be required. Frequent local travel required. Must have reliable transportation.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to the principal and essential function of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some associates assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
To apply for the farm manager position, please visit: https://midohiofoodbank.applicantpro.com/jobs/496479.html