2017 Internships available at Patchwork Gardens in Dayton, OH.
Patchwork Gardens is happy to offer internship opportunities for those interested in immersing themselves in the work and lifestyle of chemical-free farming. We prefer candidates who are able to work full time (40-60 hours/week) and willing to stay with us for the length of the growing season (mid-April – November). We work also in the Winter months and we welcome applicants to contact us at any time during the year. The right person could have the opportunity to become a long-term partner in the farm. We are a young and fun group, learning fast and making progress in our first eight years of growing. We are fast-expanding in the Dayton area and we seek applicants whose energy will help us grow our business.
Major duties could include:
- Starting plants from seed and transplanting seedlings into the garden
- Preparation and maintenance of garden including tilling, broadforking, spreading manure, watering, weeding and mulching
- Harvesting, cleaning, packing, and delivering produce for our CSA and wholesale customers.
- Sharing in responsibility of feeding, watering, and other care of livestock (pigs, sheep)
- Providing assistance with construction projects and maintenance of farm infrastructure
- Knowledge of and experience with growing vegetables without added chemicals
- Strong work ethic and desire to learn
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative
- Attention to detail and efficiency
- Creativity and love for a sustainable lifestyle
- Meals including fresh produce from the farm, grass-fed beef and pork, pastured chickens, and raw-milk, all raised responsibly and locally by friends
- Housing in the renovated loft of our reconstructed 100+ year old barn is available but not required
- Weekly stipend increasing with length of stay and performance
To begin the application process, please fill out the Patchwork Gardens Internship Application which is located on the “Get Involved” page of our website. We’ll get in touch with you once we’ve received this information.
Patchwork Gardens is a chemical-free farm located in Dayton, Ohio. Every spring, we plant a large vegetable garden: 11 acres in the widest variety we can manage. We try to cover all the garden favorites: from salad greens in spring, to summer-time tomatoes, autumn’s root crops and everything in between. It is our goal to spread good food and good farming practices within our community. The farm is in its eighth year now. We grow our food without the use of any chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides. Our approach to agriculture favors hard work (diligent cultivation) and the culture of a healthy soil biology.
Address: 9057 W. 3rd St, Dayton, OH 45417