Veteran Farm Apprentice Wanted: GI Bill eligible veteran in New Alexandria, PA on Crop Farm and Agribusiness
Veteran Farm Apprentice will be involved in all aspects of the farm, from field work to agricultural services portion of the farm. While working closely with the experienced mentor farmer/operator and personnel much of the time, s/he will also have many independent responsibilities.
Workday is generally 8:00am to 4:30pm (with ½ hour for lunch), Monday to Friday. Some Saturday mornings may be needed. The schedule may vary slightly with season and task at hand.
Representative skills the veteran farm apprentice can expect to learn to perform
- Field work: includes soil sampling, seeding, fertilizer and pesticide application, straw baling, hay making, and harvesting crops.
- Tractor work: haying and mowing.
- Assisting Primary Applicator: identify plants, pests, and weeds to determine the selection and application of pesticides and fertilizers, mixing and application of fertilizer and pesticides.
- Farm Equipment tasks: load and unload crops, troubleshoot, repair and maintain farm vehicles, implements and mechanical equipment.
Lone Maple Farms has been in operation since 1920 specializing in grown crops such as, corn, soybeans, wheat, oats, barley and barley straw. They practice No-till farming. http://lonemapleag.com/
The ideal veteran farm apprentice candidate will be:
- career minded with a desire to work long-term in agriculture
- hard-working, self-motivated, eager to learn
- a good communicator and team player
- reasonably fit and able to lift 50lbs regularly
- willing to work outside in all weather conditions from rain to mid-summer heat.
No drug use, excessive alcohol consumption, or pets on the premises.
A valid driver’s license is required. The ability to drive a standard is preferred but not necessary.
Stipend: $10 per hour to start with increases commensurate with additional duties.
Housing may be available.
This apprenticeship is pending GI Bill approved for eligible veterans. Please be prepared to provide DD214 as proof of honorable service.
How to apply for the veteran farm apprentice position: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “VA Apprentice” in the subject line.
New Alexandria, PA, is located in Westmoreland County about 40 miles east of Pittsburgh--home to champion sports teams (and the Pirates). Outdoor recreation including hunting, fishing, skiing, hiking, etc. are all a short drive away from the farm. Residents enjoy a low cost of living, an abundance of restaurants and retail options, and close proximity to major highways. The VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOQ) in Greensburg is 15 minutes from the farm.