Little Pond Farm in Bushnell, Florida is Hiring Several Farm Hands for the August-June 2017-18 Season
Little Pond Farm Description
Little Pond Farm is in its fifth season of growing vegetables, flowers and fruits organically. Little Pond is located in the small town of Bushnell, Florida, on 26 acres. Five acres are currently under cultivation. The area surrounding the farm includes the very beautiful Withlacoochee Riverine and Lake System to the north and downtown Bushnell to the east. Little Pond produces for a small CSA and a large weekly market in Saint Petersburg, as well as a few wholesale accounts.
The farmers and co-operators are Cole Turner and Ellen Trimarco. We are passionate about farming, growing delicious food, teamwork, and land stewardship. To find out more about our growing practices please visit our website (https://littlepondfl.com).
We are hiring several Farm Hands and will be accepting applications until the positions are filled. This is a seasonal full-time position spanning our main growing season, which spans August till June. Work hours range from 50-60/wk. This is an excellent position for a beginning farmer. There is potential for the right candidate to stay on with Little Pond for multiple seasons and advance in responsibilities. A year of farming experience in the field is required.
- Setting up and repairing of irrigation (drip tape, flat tube and micro sprinkler)
- Setting up, breaking down, and burning of landscape fabric
- Cultivating of weeds (hoeing, hand and flame weeding)
- Trellising tomatoes
- Maintaining hoophouse crops
- Spraying organic biological pesticides and fungicides
- Applying row cover in winter
- Harvesting, washing and packing crops
- Packing trucks for market
- Selling produce, breaking down/setting up at the farmers market
Little Pond Farm Job Requirements
- One year of fieldwork experience.
- Positive attitude and love for working in a team. We spend a lot of time together. Skills such as humor and patience are vital to our success as a team.
- Sense of urgency and an efficient working style. With that said, ability to work carefully when the task demands. Aptness to balance the two and recognize where either is needed most.
- Great problem solving skills and ability to work through problems as they arise and ask for help when needed.
- Good record keeping skills and keen sense of observation. Attention to detail is a must.
- Ability to follow established systems and procedures.
- Customer service skills for farmers market and CSA.
- Comfort in lifting and carrying 50 pounds repeatedly.
The compensation for this position is $9/hr. with hours fluctuating seasonally (50-60). To apply, please visit our website at https://littlepondfl.com/employment.