Practical Farmers of Iowa is hiring a Beginning Farmer Manager
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking an outgoing professional to serve as our Beginning Farmer Manager. Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development.
Duties for this position include:
- Administer Savings Incentive Program, including recruitment, enrollment, mentor matching, beginning farmer coaching to help them stay on track with program requirements, connecting beginning farmers with financial/business experts;
- Oversee and participate in organization and staffing beginning farmer events, including field days, farminars, conference programming and overnight retreat;
- Supervise beginning farmer and program associate;
- Raise funds for beginning farmer program;
- Build partnerships with others offering beginning farmer programming;
- Increase beginning farmer network and gather data on needs/demographic of network;
- Oversee and participate in communications featuring beginning farmers’ experiences in newsletters, blogs and other media;
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent communication skills; this person needs to be outgoing, willing to pick up the phone, initiate contact with farmers, and have good interview skills;
- Experience managing spreadsheets;
- Project management experience;
- Employee management experience;
- Experience organizing events;
- Ability to work well with others and build partnerships;
- Ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to manage several tasks at once;
- A passion for farmers and farming.
The Beginning Farmer Manager is a full-time position based in our Ames office. This position requires travel (mostly in Iowa), a valid driver’s license, the ability to lift 30 pounds and the ability to walk long distances. The position reports to operations director Sally Worley. Practical Farmers is a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, and generous paid time off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment. Salary based on experience and qualifications.
Apply for the Beginning Farmer Manager job by sending cover letter, resume and references to Sally Worley at email@example.com by January 7, 2016.