- Hands-on production skills, learned on an established farm
- Guidance from an experienced local farmer
- A customized education plan developed by farming professionals
- A widened farmer network and access to interactive field days through Upper Midwest CRAFT
- Accommodations and admission to TWO acclaimed farming conferences: MOSES Organic Farming Conference and the Wisconsin New Farmer U (includes Fearless Farm Finances and Food Safety workshops)
- Hourly salary (at least minimum wage) PLUS a $30 stipend toward additional educational resources
- And more!
Take Root Beginning Farmer Training Program for Veterans – Program Components:
Selected trainees will work with Angelic Organics Learning Center staff to create an individualized education plan to better understand training needs and aid in pairing trainees with an appropriate trainer farm.
Then Learning Center staff will make recommendations to help facilitate a good trainee/trainer farm match, but the potential trainee will also go through the farm’s regular hiring process. Final hiring decisions will be made by trainer farms. Trainer farms will determine their trainee’s hourly rate of pay, a wage which will be similar to that of other farm employees.
In addition to being treated as regular employees, trainees will receive additional training or mentoring from trainer farmers throughout the season. Trainer farmers will start hiring for the upcoming growing season in the beginning months of 2018. Contact us directly to learn more about our trainer farms.