Get Farming! is a project of the Michigan Land Use Institute in Traverse City. Their primary focus is on new, beginning farmers and prospective growers. They are hosting workshops on a variety of subjects, including:
– Reducing Risk: New Options for insuring your crops
November 12, 2008 from 7 to 9 pm at Michigan Works, 1209 Garfield in Traverse City. Please pre-register for the program by calling the Michigan Land Use Institute at 231-941-6584.
– Hoop for the Future: How Hoop Houses can extend growing season and reduce risk at Black Star Farm, December 3, 2008.
Day-long session from 9-4. Free, Please pre-register for the program by calling the Michigan Land Use Institute at 231-941-6584.
Other sessions that we are assembling include:
* Financing and grant opportunities available to area farms.
* Women in Agriculture: Granny Landlords, Estate Planning, and Effective Communication for Farm Women in northern Michigan
* Effective grant-writing strategies.
* Native American growing practices.
* Local zoning and your farm.
* Food processing and value-added agriculture.
– Get Farming’s Entrepreneur Series will offer eight classes covering farm business issues like market research, legal concerns, and financial planning. The Entrepreneur Series begins on January 20, 2009 at Michigan Works in Traverse City.
MLUI’s Get Farming! website is http://www.localdifference.org/getfarming/
The project coordinator is Jim Sluyter, 231-889-0199 or firstname.lastname@example.org