Children’s Garden Aide Position Available at the Mill Valley Children’s Garden in California – 2018
LOCATION: Edna Maguire Elementary School, Mill Valley, CA
JOB TYPE: Part-Time. 15 hours a week. $13-$15 an hour based on experience.
ABOUT: Located in Mill Valley, California, the Mill Valley Children’s Garden, on the campus of Edna Maguire Elementary School, is a half acre outdoor classroom for approximately 600 students. The garden is a hands-on treasure for both curriculum-based teaching and exploratory creative experimentation – it is a “textbook come to life.” Through the Children’s Garden and its Outdoor Educator, children learn botany, ecology, math, language arts, nutrition and cooking, stewardship of the land, community service, and much more.
The Garden Program is funded each year by parent donations as part of the annual PTA donation drive. Throughout the school year, we host additional fundraisers including our annual Spring Garden Faire.
The Mill Valley Children’s Garden has an immediate opening for a part-time Children’s Garden Aide for the remainder of the 2017-2018 school year. The position will run through mid June 2018 with the possibility of continuing next school year. As the Garden Aide, you will work closely with the Garden Educator, Garden Coordinator and volunteers to maximize food production, maintain the garden, and manage projects to continue the growth and development of our garden.
CHILDREN’S GARDEN AIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the Garden Educator to determine planting and harvesting schedule
- Assist with general care and maintenance
- Be able to perform physical work required for garden maintenance
- Maintain records of planting, harvesting, and soil amendments
- Help design and improve undeveloped areas of the garden
- Coordinate and manage volunteers as needed
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Working knowledge of all aspects of organic gardening: planting/harvesting schedules, crop rotation, soil and compost, irrigation systems, integrated pest management, etc.
- Comfortable working with and around children
- Willingness to work outside during all weather conditions
- Highly motivated individual capable of working independently without supervision
- Positive, flexible, can-do attitude
TO APPLY: Interested and qualified applicants for the Children’s Garden Aide Job should email a resume and cover letter to Kristy McGuire at email@example.com with details of their experience and availability.
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/