Farm Coordinator Job with Cedar Ridge Community Church in Maryland – 2018
Since 2009, the Cedar Ridge community—located in Spencerville, Maryland—has farmed a little over half an acre of chemical-free vegetable and fruit crops. Each year we grow more than a ton of fresh produce, which is given to local groups that serve the hungry and homeless. Cedar Ridge is looking to hire a part-time farm coordinator to provide technical expertise and logistical support in this tenth year of operations. We require someone with a proven track record in horticultural production to advise on how to grow a diverse weekly food basket; and will train farm team members, supervise volunteers, and ensure timely and effective food production.
Farm Coordinator Job Tasks:
- Advise on, demonstrate, and document best practices in horticultural crop production that meet the food demands of our clientele.
- Provide training to farm team members to ensure these best practices can be continued in future years.
- Supervise regular workdays (Sunday mornings and Thursday evenings), and support monthly events, prioritizing planting, weeding and harvesting tasks to maximize the use of volunteers.
- Conduct additional planting, weeding, watering, and harvesting as needed between workdays to ensure the farm remains productive.
- Ensure food is harvested, weighed, logged and stored in an appropriate and timely manner to facilitate deliveries.
- Communicate to volunteers the vision and mission of the farm, the importance of food security issues in our region, and the need for a healthy diet.
- Supervise the removal of equipment, composting of plant material, sowing of a cover crop, and other tasks to ensure the farm is in good shape for the following year.
- Provide support to the Harvest Festival to make the farm an attraction for raising awareness about food insecurity, and for the recruitment of volunteers for the following farm season.
The Farm Coordinator Job is 16 hours per week, mid-June to mid-October. Work hours flexible. Contact email@example.com.
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/