Rutabaga Riches: Farm Finances for Farmers course
Date: Friday and Saturday, January 9 and 10
Location: Rockton, Illinois (just outside of Beloit, Wisconsin).
Cost: Early-Bird Price: $179 (until 12/12 @ 9:00pm)/Regular Price: $219
$100 scholarships available for 2014 CRAFT members, email AOLC right away about this opportunity at firstname.lastname@example.org
Taught by Chris Blanchard and Badgerland Financial Services’ Paul Dietmann, this course is entirely focused on helping farmers gather, understand, and use financial information about their farming and marketing operations. This course is for beginning and experience farmers alike – and for people planning to get into farming who want to get off on the right foot! Regardless of experience level, this course will provide essential information to help participants move their farms forward.
The Rutabaga Riches course is going to cover all of the basics for farm finance, including:
- How to set up a bookkeeping system that is easy to operate and provides useful information to enable better decision-making;
- Creating balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow statements that participants can use to understand the a farm’s financial health;
- When and how to access credit, including establishing and maintaining a relationship with a lender;
- Information about how to price products, including how to track labor and other inputs to accurately identify cost of production and the cost of marketing through different outlets;
- Using the gathered information to make decisions about operational changes, equipment purchases, and building infrastructure.
In other words, this course will provide participants with a whole toolbox of financial tools that will help them understand how to get where they want to go, without having to chain themselves to a desk – Chris and Paul want to help farmers understand and manage their finances so that they can put more of their energy into taking care of their farm, their family, and the environment.