- Ensure that all farm equipment, tools and vehicles are kept in good working order at reasonable costs.
- Ensure that grounds are kept in good order especially in times of severe weather conditions.
- Provide a sustainable approach to caring for the land by the use of biodynamic and organic practices.
- Mediate agreements/leases among land users, commercial and residential tenants, vendors and contractors.
- Ensure that all homes and buildings be kept in good working order at reasonable costs.
- Become more efficient with energy for all the homes, buildings, equipment and vehicles.
- Manage staff and work in cooperation with the managers and staff who operate other entities on the farm.
Responsibilities include –
For Norton Realty –
- Work with all commercial and residential tenants to stay in compliance with specific lease agreements.
- Manage and maintain properties, facilitate building and property maintenance via vendors/subcontractors following property inspection or reports from tenants regarding 9 residential homes, 3 commercial buildings – includes grain bins, barns, lower workshop, veggie shed, spring house and fuel pumps.
- Oversee the maintenance and care of all equipment utilized at Norton Realty as well as all farm and garden equipment.
- Manage all relationships with vendors – mowers, landscape, tree care, etc.
- Manage relationships with subcontractors, which may include plumbers, electricians, carpenters, general maintenance, and others as needed.
- Conduct annual inspections of all commercial and residential building and review leases.
- Oversee any land improvement projects.
- Oversee management of the hunting program.
- Oversee all trash and recycling programs.
- Be accountable for expenses, bookkeeping and financial reports.
For Norton Wetlands –
- Property Management/Leases
- Work to ensure property lease compliance.
- Meet semi-annually for a walk-through of dwellings and grounds.
For Norton Minerals –
- Meet with the external vendor twice a year
- Review year over year progress and occurrences to ensure the maintenance of the property management agreements.
For Norton Farm –
- Assist the biodynamic coordinator with application of field sprays.
- Work with manager of the grass fed beef, as needed including maintenance and repair of farm equipment and vehicles.
- Remove barn waste (manure) in coordination with managers of beef and horse operations.
- Be a resource to Norton Farm for fence and road maintenance.
For the Trust Advisory Group –
- Monitor staff accountability.
- Prepare annual operating and capital expense budgets for approval by the Trust Advisory Group.
- Seek pre- approval from the Trust Advisory Group for expenditures that are not budgeted.
- Provide quarterly progress reports to the Trust Advisory Group.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic knowledge and experience in basic mechanical skills regarding operations, repair and maintenance of farm, garden, and other equipment and tools.
- Basic knowledge and skills of residential and building repair – being hands-on but knowing when to call in a subcontractor specialist.
- Ability to learn to work with the biodynamic approach to land care, and understanding what the Biodynamic Certification means to the property.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with all employees, vendors, renters, neighbors, etc.
- Be a team player.
- Ability to act as a general contractor for projects and repairs.
- Understanding of budgets, expenses and reports.
Education and Experience
- College degree in agriculture, preferred
- 5 years of experience in gardening/farming/agriculture/construction/equipment repairs.
- Experience with sustainable agriculture practices preferred.
- Management experience.
Full-time / salary is $45,000 – $50,000 / partial paid health insurance / life insurance; (Potential housing is available)
If you are qualified, please send your resume and three references to: Sandy@bizvisionsconsulting.com by March 15th, 2014.