Farm Manager Job at the Cascadian Farms Home Farm in Rockport, Washington
Cascadian Farms Home Farm Manager Position Details
- Reports to Home Farm Site Director
- Location: Rockport, WA
- Travel: Limited
- Weekend & extended hours required during growing season
Major Job Responsibilities for Farm Manager at Cascadian Farms Home Farm
Farm Production (80%)
- Responsible for farm operations including yield, production schedules, equipment, and employee supervision.
- Develop and lead execution of long-term strategy for farming operations
- Recruit, hire, and directly manage seasonal field staff
- Perform basic maintenance and improvements on farm infrastructure, facilities, and equipment
- Ensure necessary supplies and parts are available for farm production and equipment repair
- Operate equipment including berry harvester, tractors, and tractor implements
- Manage and oversee all irrigation needs and repairs
- Maintain a safe, clean, and well organized work environment for staff and customers
- Ensure compliance with safety regulations and actively lead in the Farm’s safety program
- Assist field crew in planting, weeding, pruning, and harvesting crops and fill in as needed
- Support overall operations as a member of the farm leadership team through active participation in meetings, progress reports, collaboration, and proactive communication with the team.
- Contribute to the farm business planning by providing expertise on farm enterprises including cropping systems, varieties, volumes, inputs, and capital investments
- Facilitate a respectful, communicative, and team-oriented work environment
- Work with the farm leadership team to ensure farm goals are met
- Responsible for maintaining organic integrity on the farm.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations (including, but not limited to, Good Agricultural Practices, Washington State Department of Agriculture, and USDA National Organic Program)
- Maintain records related to production and compliance with organic certification and food safety regulations
- Holistically manage soil fertility (cover cropping, crop rotation, and compost program), nutrient cycling, promote biodiversity, and weed, pest, and disease management
- Maintain technical expertise in organic and regenerative farming practices and issues by keeping up with the latest scientific research and attending relevant farm conferences
- Ensure food quality and food safety standards of farm products.
- Oversee and manage food safety practices outlined in Good Agricultural Practices program
- Ensure produce is grown, harvested, and stored for excellent taste and high-quality product
Research, Interpretation, Education, and Outreach (20%)
- In partnership with the General Mills’ agronomy team, develop relationships with Universities, seed companies, and others to partner in research and field trials
- Work with General Mills’ agronomy, sourcing, and branding to provide perspective and ideas on organic farming practices, supporting farmers, and driving positive change at scale
- Work with the Site Director to provide tours and organic farming education to visitors and brand customers
- Assist with the development of organic education resources for staff and visitors
- Contribute content to social media, website, and blog
- Support and represent organic farming with industry and partners in the organic community
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with emphasis in organic or sustainable agriculture desired.
- At least two years of farm management level experience required.
- Demonstrated experience with operating and maintaining machinery.
- Experience in organic and regenerative agricultural practices with a working knowledge of plant health, fertility management, pest and disease management, weed suppression, and greenhouse management.
- Knowledge of current organic research and emerging trends in organic farming systems.
- Creative thinker and problem solver with the ability to innovate.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness to participate in videos and social media to promote the farm, organic agriculture, and the brand.
- Must be able to comfortably lift 50lbs and perform work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
- Conversational Spanish is required.
- Passion and enthusiasm for organic, regenerative farming and stewardship of natural resources
- Interest in working within a large company to drive positive change at scale
- Eagerness to work and live within a rural and remote community
- Energizes & develops people
- Delivers outstanding results
- Willingness to be flexible and adapt to changing job requirements and priorities
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and under time constraints
- Team player with positive attitude
- Ability to work with multiple, diverse stakeholders
This is a full-time, year-round position. A competitive salary starts at $50,000. We offer a generous benefits package which includes Medical, Dental and Vision coverage, 15 days Paid Vacation, 11 Paid Holidays, and a generous 401K match. Annual raise and bonus based on personal and organizational performance.
To Apply for the Farm Manager Job at Cascadian Farms Home Farm
Please include a Cover Letter and Resume when applying for this position. Visit our General Mills Careers website to apply for the position: http://careers.generalmills.com/job/7864960/
Information about the Cascadian Farms Home Farm is available at: http://www.cascadianfarm.com/our-farm/the-farm
Learn more about General Mills’ commitment to Global Responsibility at:
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/