· Work closely with the Farm Coordinator to develop and implement farm management plan
· Convert arable land from hay production to food production
· Utilize Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and other sustainable production techniques to minimize chemical use at the BWCA
· Maintain farm infrastructure and equipment
· Help implement farmer resource programs (e.g. grants and cost-sharing programs) that will be showcased at the farm
· Work with the Farm Coordinator to develop an Incubator Farm program
· Integrate farm management with BWCA habitat enhancement efforts (e.g. riparian buffer zone and pollinator hedgerows)
· Support education and outreach programs connected to the farm (e.g. interact with school groups on farm field trips)
· At least five years farming experience; at least two in a manager position
· Extensive knowledge of locally-appropriate, year-round food production techniques. Experience producing annual vegetables, tree fruit, berries, beans and grain, and small-scale livestock are all relevant.
· Interest in exploring experimental/innovative agricultural strategies (e.g. dry farming, variety trials, preserving/propagating heirloom cultivars)
· Technical farming knowledge: ability to use farm machinery, manage irrigation systems and implement construction of farm infrastructure (e.g. greenhouses and trellis systems)
· Excellent organizational skills, including record-keeping, budgeting/finances and time management
· Interest or experience in mentoring beginning farmers
Compensation and Benefits
This is a permanent salaried position. Pay range is $35,360-41,600 annually depending on experience. On-farm housing may be available with the position. Benefits include health insurance, ten paid holidays, paid sick and vacation time, and SIMPLE match.
What will distinguish your application?
· Local ties with agricultural community
· Professional experience or personal interest in conservation work
· Background in agricultural education or farmer training programs
This position opened on December 22, 2011 and is open until filled.
Please send a cover letter and resume, including 3 references to Jared Pruch at email@example.com.