● Positive thinker with plenty of energy and aggressiveness, devoted to helping the hungry.
● Knowledge and experience in growing on large scale an extensive range of vegetables.
● Able to analyze and solve problems
● Excellent organizational and supervisory skills
● Good communication and teaching skills
● Enjoys instructing and mentoring young volunteers with confidence and patience
● Farm equipment mechanical aptitude
● Aptitude for working with computers for planning, budgeting, scheduling
● Cautious, constantly concerned with safety and protection of visitors
● Certified for application of farm chemicals
● Operating knowledge of modern drip irrigation systems
Manager shall perform the following tasks:
● Under supervision of the Chief Executive Officer, manage the capital, plans and strategic direction of the farm under policies of the Board of Directors.
● Manage the financial aspects of the business by controlling expenses.
● Organize and manage the various functions of the farm with the aid of volunteers.
● Decide or advise on the kind of crops to be grown, the area to be sown or planted.
● Plan the type of farming activities to be undertaken, estimate operating costs and order supplies such as seed, fertilizer, and farm equipment.
● Manage with aid of volunteers the irrigation system to provide appropriate moisture to growing plants.
● Assuring health and safety of all farm visitors, direct farm volunteer workers on crop growing and harvesting.
● Perform farming functions in such a manner as to be instructive to volunteers.
● Assure that all equipment (tractors, implements, sprayers, trucks, wagons), are operated away from all volunteers to protect them from accidents or health problems.
● Plan activities to minimize environmental degradation, monitor environmental effects of farming activities and repair existing damage.
● Maintain records to help in future planning and scheduling of plantings and chemical application.
Position is Full-Time near Woodstock, VA starting in 2013, salary to be negotiated based on education and experience. 30 day paid vacation in winter at end of first year, but no other benefits. Send resume to Volunteer Farm, 277 Crider Ln. Woodstock, VA 22664. Or Email: email@example.com. Also see WWW.VolunteerFarm.Org.