The CSC is hiring a farm manager/ mentor 1) to grow organic produce at the Catawba Sustainability Center for Preston’s Restaurant, and 2) to offer workshops and serve as an educational resource for beginning farmers and other visitors.
The farm manager/mentor will be responsible for maintaining all aspects of the CSC’s hoop house and production plot. Responsibilities will include working closely with the chef at Preston’s to determine crops, designing a crop plan, buying seeds and plants, implementing the crop plan, record keeping, and delivering the product to Preston’s.
The farm manager/mentor will also work closely with the CSC director to design and offer educational workshops and to assist other on-site farmers throughout the year.
There are also opportunities for the farm mentor/producer to establish their own for-profit production site at the Catawba Sustainability Center.
· Knowledge of organic agriculture, gardening, soil fertility, greenhouse production, and irrigation systems and/or the desire to learn more about these things.
· Coursework in horticulture, agriculture, soil science, natural resource management or ecology.
· Experience working with international populations and English language learners.
· Good organizational skills, including record keeping.
· Ability to work independently and be self-directed.
· Interest in physical, outdoor work.
· Reliable transportation.
· Experience with Excel and MS Word.
Start date and compensation:
This position is an hourly position with a commitment of 30 hours per week. The position will start in mid-March and will run through June 30, 2012. Continued work after June is dependent on funding availability. Pay commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants, please submit a cover letter and resume to Karie Gilliam at email@example.com.