Assistant Manager Job Available at Blue Moon Community Farm in Wisconsin for 2013Blue Moon is a CSA and market farm outside of Stoughton, WI growing high-quality vegetables, pastured pork and turkeys for our local community. In 2012 (their 8th CSA season) they packed 110 weekly CSA shares, and a weekly Saturday market consumed the balance of their 5.5 acres of vegetables and 3 hoophouses. On this scale, Blue Moon very much a labor-intensive farm. To meet those needs their hire 3-5 seasonal workers, offer 10 worker share positions though the CSA, and offer volunteer opportunities throughout the season. Blue Moon is seeking an Assistant Manager for the 2013 and possibly beyond to work alongside the Farmer/Owner in overseeing all operations. An ideal candidate is a motivated, skilled, independent individual who can demonstrate the ability to manage a multi-faceted operation for top quality food production. The Assistant Manager, alongside the Farmer/Owner, will have a role in all areas of production from seed to sale, including:
- Pre-season planning process
- Greenhouse management
- Tillage and field preparation
- Mechanical seeding and cultivation
- Field crew training & management
- Harvest planning
- Harvest and postharvest management
- Irrigation Management
- Management of our 3 production Hoophouses
- CSA preparation and site hosting (on-farm pick-up only)
- Market sales at the Westside Community Market in Madison (Saturdays, April-November)
- Farm Record-keeping Logs
- 2-3 years experience in direct-market and/or diversified vegetable production, preferably in the CSA model
- Experience supervising other workers or volunteers
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience selling at Farmers Markets or other direct market sales
- Ability to work quickly and carefully, and motivate others to do the same
- Interest in a multi-year position (preferred)
- Tractor operation and maintenance experience (preferred)
- Independent and motivated
Season Length: March 1 through December 15, 2013 (limited off-season work possible)
This position is part-time (20-25 hrs/wk) from March 1 through around April 15 (depending on the field season), and November 1 through December 15. On farm work increases to 40-50 hrs/wk from April 15-through October 31.
Hours: (Main season) 7:30am-4:30pm M-F (42.5 hrs/wk) plus Saturday market hours. Early and late season part-time hours will be established at the time of hire.
Compensation: The Assistant Manager is paid a monthly stipend commensurate with experience, plus health care stipend (no health plan offered), workers compensation, work gear stipend, and farm products. No housing is offered with this position. Madison is just 15 miles from the farm and offers many housing options including co-op and group houses.
What Blue Moon can offer:
This position will prepare the right candidate for owning and operating a future operation of their own. The Assistant Manager will gain experience in all aspects of managing a small, diversified vegetable farm and marketing through CSA and Farmers Market outlets. He/she will learn to execute our standards for producing high-quality crops, and be able to teach those skills to others. The Assistant Manager will use planting schedules and field plans to manage all aspects of production, along with the farmer, and learn to use the tools for accomplish each task. The Assistant Manager and the farmer/owner will meet regularly and work closely together throughout the season.
How to apply:
If interested, please submit a resume, cover letter and 2 work-related references to:
Kristen Kordet, Owner
3856 Schneider Dr.
Stoughton, WI 53589
Application deadline is January 15, 2013 or until the position is filled.