· Deliver 5 garden-based education classes per week; classes are held Monday morning, all day Tuesday, and all day Wednesday. Classes run year round. 35% of total time
· Prepare for each lesson by gathering supplies, worksheets, and reviewing each lesson plan. 20% of total time
· Manage the Ranch facility garden, plan and prepare for garden work activities, manage cropping schedule, prepare for availability of tools and other necessary materials. 30% of total time
· Oversee program expenditures in accordance with program budgets.
· Build and maintain relationships with Juvenile Probation Department and constituents in support of program activities.
· Participate in monthly Urban Sprouts staff meetings, which include professional support, collaborative planning and goal-setting in our offices in San Francisco.
· Complete reporting paperwork.
· Supervise program interns who assist with garden work activities.
· Monitor, document, and report on all activities and extent of student and teacher participation to Program Director.
Required Skills and Experience:
· At least 2-3 years of facilitation or teaching experience with youth aged 11-17; outdoor group management experience preferred.
· Valid California driver license required.
· Experience working within the juvenile justice system or comparable experience working with at-risk youth.
· Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations, including youth and adults.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred.
· Capable of working in a fast-paced outdoor environment, and able to lift 25 pounds from floor to table height.
Desired Skills and Experience
· Knowledge and skills in small-scale organic food production or home gardening.
· Knowledge of and/or interest in topics including urban gardening, botany, environmental science, health and nutrition, food systems, food access, urban schools, and social justice.
· Bilingual and/or bi-cultural preferred (desired languages include Spanish, Tagalog, Cantonese).
· Strong oral and written communication skills, including public speaking skills.
· Strong skills in interpersonal communication, collaboration, and emotional intelligence.
· Ability to work independently, be flexible, strive for excellence, and think creatively.
· Computer and project management skills.
Please note Urban Sprouts will provide a vehicle for transportation to and from the site or will reimburse for mileage.
This is a part-time position, working 30 hours per week, $16-20 per hour DOE, and includes vacation and sick leave, health insurance (including medical, dental, vision, and acupuncture/chiropractic), 401(k), including a 50% match after one year of employment, and eligibility for participation in a flexible spending account.
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter with Log Cabin Garden Educator in the subject line via email to: email@example.com. No phone calls please.
For more information please visit our website www.urbansprouts.org.
The position is now open. We anticipate filling the position in mid to late August. Review of applications will begin with resumes received by July 19th.
Urban Sprouts is a project of the San Francisco Parks Alliance.