Rotary First Harvest Hiring for a Gleaning Program Coordinator Job (AmeriCorps VISTA) on Whidbey Island, Washington – 2018
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED FOR 2018 – KEEP CHECKING BEGINNINGFARMERS.ORG FOR MORE POSITION ANNOUNCEMENTS!
Are you passionate about food justice, community outreach and volunteer management? Want to make a difference serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA and increase the healthy food accessible to food insecure populations?
Serve with Rotary First Harvest’s Harvest Against Hunger (HAH) program to reduce food waste while alleviating hunger. Since 2009, HAH has placed over 115 AmeriCorps VISTA members with 45 host site organizations, to engage with over 25,000 volunteers, and recover over 5 million pounds of fresh healthy produce for families in need across the country.
The Gleaning Program Coordinator at Good Cheer Food Bank will continue to develop volunteer recruitment and retention strategies, coordinate gleans, participate in asset mapping, and plan the long-term sustainability of the program. This AmeriCorps VISTA position will be part strategist and part storyteller, working to strengthen public recognition and support for food recovery efforts. The gleaning program coordinator will streamline systems to share excess food with hunger relief network partners, and support volunteer programs that divert food from the waste-stream by processing blemished or excess produce into value-added food products that can feed hungry families all year long.
Gleaning Program Coordinator Job Desired Skills, Experience and Attributes:
- Outreach: Strong written and oral communication abilities. Networking and interpersonal skills. Writing and editing capabilities.
- Organized and strategic: Attentive to details with the ability to multitask. Can also see the bigger picture and prioritize goals.
- Flexibility: Resilient and patient. Somebody who can handle curve balls and last minute changes to plan with grace and good humor.
Preferred Qualifications (not required, but extra helpful if candidate possesses one or more):
- Tech savvy, experience with any of the following especially relevant:
- Microsoft Excel or Google Spreadsheets
- GIS mapping
- Any database software (Salesforce, Wufoo)
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, or other graphic design skills
- Commercial kitchen food safety and handling, and/or food preservation experience such as canning or pickling.
- Orchard/tree knowledge, general farm work, or a degree related to agriculture or botany.
- Strongly suggested that you have your own personal vehicle (mileage will be reimbursed for VISTA-related travel).
Gleaning Program Coordinator Job Location:
Looking to become part of a tight-knit community focused on intentional living? Look no further. Whidbey Island offers a reprieve from fast paced city life, offering an escape to quaint little towns. Each direction you look is full of natural beauty, with the Cascades shimmering on one side and Mt. Baker just across the water. Rocky beaches line all sides of this beautiful island in the Puget Sound, pocketed with farms and plenty of hiking trails. Good Cheer has three locations on South Whidbey, and serves as both a food bank and thrift store.
Good Cheer Food Bank is a dynamic workplace that can provide you with:
- Opportunities to work with smart, passionate and enthusiastic team members and volunteers dedicated to hunger relief
- Culture of high-performance expectations and accountability
- Exciting and challenging work
- Designing capacity building methods and implementing systems to build sustainable programing
AmeriCorps VISTA Benefits
- $944 a month living allowance (pre-tax)
- $5,920 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of service
- ACA compliant health benefits
- Relocation reimbursement child care assistance available
- Becoming a member of a large network of current AmeriCorps members and alums
- Professional development support, mentorship and in-service training opportunities
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/