Greenmarket School Tours introduce the concepts of seasonality, local food, and sustainable agriculture to over 3500 schoolchildren each year. We have an Education Station tent at our Union Square Greenmarket and are seeking interns to assist with on-site programming, materials and school tours. Additionally we are seeking assistance with our middle school curriculum pilot that incorporates seasonal cooking classes, farm visits, and in-class visits with farmers.
This unpaid internship offers flexible hours both at market, in the classroom and in the office. For college students, incorporating credit requirements into the project is a welcome possibility.
Responsibilities may include:
- Staffing the Union Square Education Station
Field questions and organize displays and materials
Perform cooking demonstrations
Coordinate tabling events with volunteers and outside partners
Assist with and lead school tours
- Help to coordinate pilot project for ages 10-14 exploring local food and sustainable farming, the links between diet and health and basic nutrition, and food-related careers.
- Develop child-friendly nutritionally balanced recipes and educational hand-outs
- Coordinate school tour schedule and prepare take-home materials.
- Assist with writing and production of the Youth Quarterly Newsletter.
The position offers an exciting opportunity to make a creative contribution towards helping New York City’s children understand where their food comes from, and why their food choices are so important.
Education and Special Projects Coordinator, Greenmarket
GrowNYC (formerly Council on the Environment of NYC)
51 Chambers Street, Suite 1231, New York NY 10007
Growing awareness. minds. food. gardens…growing a better NYC
Get involved at www.GrowNYC.org