Type: Seasonal, 20-40 hours/week
Application Deadline: April 1, 2012
Crew Farmers will assist in running the day-to-day operations of the Tilian Residency Farm and the Tilian CSA including all tasks involved in year-round vegetable production and marketing. The crew will be expected to attain proficiency in all basic farm skills, and will be responsible for some weekend farm upkeep and farmers’ market vending.
2012 is the inaugural year for the Tilian CSA, so this is an excellent opportunity for farmers who wish to understand the process of building a new farm from the ground up. The Residency Farm is located at the Tilian Farm Development Center, which facilitates new farm-business development in the Ann Arbor, MI food shed. The Crew Farmers are regarded as members of the Tilian team, and as such their education and development as skilled farmers is part of the mission of the organization.
Experience and Skills Required:
- Knowledge of organic or ecological vegetable production
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to work quickly, multi-task and be flexible on a daily basis
- Ability to maintain organized records
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in and dress appropriately for all weather conditions
- Initiative and ability to prioritize and complete tasks without direct supervision
- Ability to cheerfully follow directions
- An inclination toward efficiency and problem solving
- Physical strength to perform repetitive, heavy and light manual labor
- Love and appreciation for beautiful produce and good food
- Desire to positively, actively contribute to a new farm community
Hours and Compensation
- Between 20 and 40 hours/week, including some weekend hours. Preference given to individuals who can work full time.
- Positions beginning in April and May, running through October or November
- $9/hour starting wage
Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining 1) what you think makes a good farmer and 2) why you are a good choice for this position, along with three professional references, to email@example.com
by April 1, 2012. For more information visit www.tiliancenter.org