Full-time Residential Volunteer (Internship) Opportunity with Heifer International - Heifer Ranch Learning Center, Perryville, Arkansas www.heifer.org/volunteer
All Heifer International volunteers (interns) are a part of helping to provide experiential education that inspires, challenges, and engages people to end global hunger and poverty. Heifer Ranch operates a 5 acre organic garden (CSA), a small livestock production, a dining hall which uses Ranch produce and meats, a conference center, and experiential education programs year-round – welcoming nearly 18,000 visitors each year. Volunteer positions are specialized into four areas: livestock, education, gardens/food service and guest operations/visitor center. Learning Center volunteers have a passion for Heifer’s mission to work with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth. They enjoy working with people of all ages from diverse backgrounds, are able to put in a good 40+ hour week, spend time outdoors in all types of weather and are willing to learn and help out.
Heifer Ranch is recruiting for volunteers who can commit to one of the following time commitments:
1. August 31, 2015 – November 21, 2015
2. August 31, 2015 – August 13, 2016
3. February 1, 2016 – August 13, 2016
4. February 1, 2016 – November 19, 2016
Schedule: 40-50 hours a week including some evenings, weekends and holidays depending on scheduled programming. Volunteers receive two days off each week.
· On-site, fully-furnished, communal-style housing;
· Cost-of-Living Reimbursement Stipend of $98/week;
· Weekday lunches in the Dining Hall during programming;
· 20% Heifer Gift Shop discount during term of active service.
· Access to Ranch bikes & vehicles
Responsibilities: Vary by positions listed below and detailed full position descriptions are available upon request at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Education Volunteers lead tours, education activities & programs with mostly youth participants; Assist with daily livestock chores and periodically in the Visitor Center.
• Guest Operations Volunteers answer phones, assist with reservations, gift shop sales, community outreach, light housekeeping and data entry. Also assist with daily livestock chores and field trips.
• Farmer Chef Volunteers assist part-time with meal preparation for program participants and part-time with gardening in a variety of gardens, including an organic CSA; periodically lead education programs.
• Livestock Volunteers oversee daily livestock feeding, conduct animal well-being checks, assist with fencing repairs, purchase feed & supplies; periodically lead education programs.
Must be at least 18 years of age by starting date of volunteer service
Must pass background check
Must be fluent in English and possess excellent verbal & written communication skills
Must have ability and willingness to work with school and congregational groups
Must complete required orientation and training
Must uphold all Heifer policies and procedures
Must commit to specific service dates prior to orientation, preferably a full season as listed
Must meet the physical requirements which vary by position and duties
Ability to communicate clearly and effectively particularly with youth and groups
Excellent customer service skills, during routine times and under pressure
A friendly, “can-do” attitude, people skills and patience
Ability to perform as an effective team member and work cooperatively and positively with a diverse group (gender, age, religion, ethnicity, etc.) of guests and coworkers
Possess a clear understanding of and appreciation for the mission of Heifer International
Ability to follow procedures, expectations and policies, with or without direct supervision
Willingness and ability to work outdoors during inclement weather (hot and cold)
Willingness to work hard and get dirty
Demonstrated ability to complete assigned projects independently and to multi-task
Willingness and ability to share housing (including room) with a diverse group of volunteers and participate in the household community including housekeeping chores
Visit the website – www.heifer.org/volunteer or contact the Outreach & Volunteer Manager at Heifer Ranch by emailing email@example.com or calling 501-889-5124.
For more info about Heifer Ranch visit www.heifer.org/ranch.