WORK FOR NOFA-NY!
POSITION RE-POSTED!!! APPLICANTS FROM FIRST POSTING ENCOURAGED TO RE-APPLY
EDUCATION AND OUTREACH COORDINATOR
The Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York (NOFA-NY) is the oldest and largest organization in New York devoted to organic and sustainable farming and gardening, and counts over 1100 farms among its 2200 members of farmers, gardeners, and eaters.
We are seeking an Education and Outreach Coordinator to work with the Executive Director and other staff to lead the organization’s farmer, gardener, consumer, and small business educational initiatives including the annual conference, field day series, and general education and outreach.
The position requires a self-starter who has a background in and/or experience in organic farming, event planning experience, and excellent organizational skills. The person must be passionate and knowledgeable about organic farming and gardening and have staff management experience. The Education and Outreach Coordinator is based in the new NOFA-NY office in Rochester, NY and reports to the Executive Director.
- In coordination with the Executive Director and policy committee, sets annual education and outreach goals, develops strategies, and coordinates initiatives to meet these objectives.
- Coordinates all details for the annual NOFA-NY winter conference for 1,000+ attendees. Organizes over 80 workshops covering 10 interest tracks, coordinates the trade show, manages conference program ad listings, coordinates the silent auction, creates conference ads and manages the publicity, coordinates volunteers, etc. Manages the conference budget and conference staff.
- Coordinates all details for the NOFA-NY field day series across NYS. Organizes over 25 diverse field days in all regions of NYS, and is responsible for expanding the series to be year-round. Coordinates volunteers to help staff field days and manages event publicity.
- Provides some technical assistance to farmers and gardeners through phone and email.
- Manages general organizational education outreach to public. Helps coordinate volunteers to support outreach efforts.
- Works with Assistant Director to create education and outreach materials for the speakers bureau.
- Notifies membership of educational events via the newsletter, e-news, listserves, and website.
- Occasional public speaking.
- In coordination with the Executive Director, hires and trains education and outreach staff and ensures that individual performance goals are met.
- Assists in writing grants to support education and outreach work.
Competitive salary, dependent on experience. We offer a full benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid medical insurance, 50% employer-paid dental insurance, and a 403(b) retirement plan.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Knowledge: Extensive knowledge of organic and sustainable agriculture and the educational needs of farmers and gardeners. Experience: Organic farming, event planning, and working with volunteers.
- Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal, supervisory, planning, and training skills; excellent organizational skills; strong computer skills required; familiarity with database programs helpful, graphic design interest helpful, Spanish language skills helpful.
- Capabilities: High energy and enthusiasm. Ability to work well with a wide range of people, work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks at once, and adapt to changing situations on a daily basis.
- Conditions: Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of NOFA-NY. Some statewide travel required.
How to Apply
Position open until filled. Please send cover letter, resume, three references, and a short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 20, 2010.
NOFA-NY is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.