- Knowledge of history and culture of farming communities and/or other rural or underserved regions.
- Ability to travel throughout the region and the country to represent Community Farm Alliance in a wide range of settings.
- Success in fundraising with foundations, public agencies and individuals.
- Experience in strategic planning and guiding its implementation.
- Experience and knowledge of the centrality of community organizing as the process for achieving the goals, mission, and vision of the organization.
- Knowledge & understanding of the role local food systems can play in promoting social justice.
- Excellent communication skills including verbal and written.
- Experience in managing staff and the ability to work in a democratic manner.