THE ORGANIZATION: Community Farm Alliance is a grassroots membership organization with 1,200 members in over 60 counties in Kentucky. CFA provides a grassroots voice for Kentucky's citizens–farmer and consumer, urban and rural alike–on farm, food, and economic issues. From creating programs that link local farmers with institutional buyers, to promoting family farm-friendly policies in the halls of the State Capitol, CFA empowers citizens to build and sustain what we call LIFE, a Local Integrated Food Economy.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Raise an annual budget; Develop relationships with potential funders; Write quality grant proposals, and prepare grant reports; Develop the annual fundraising plan that includes grassroots fundraising campaigns and major donor activities in collaboration with the Team of Organizers and oversee its implementation; Work with the Lead Organizer to offer guidance throughout the community organizing process from issue identification and campaigns through to policy development, implementation and legislative monitoring; Build relationships with allies, decision makers and the media; Provide leadership in strategic planning, development, and maximizing the vision and creative energies of both the CFA Board and Staff members.
- Knowledge of history and culture of farming communities and/or other rural or underserved regions.
- Ability to travel throughout the region and the country to represent Community Farm Alliance in a wide range of settings.
- Success in fundraising with foundations, public agencies and individuals.
- Experience in strategic planning and guiding its implementation.
- Experience and knowledge of the centrality of community organizing as the process for achieving the goals, mission, and vision of the organization.
- Knowledge & understanding of the role local food systems can play in promoting social justice.
- Excellent communication skills including verbal and written.
- Experience in managing staff and the ability to work in a democratic manner.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary$39,000 plus depending on experience.Excellent benefits: group health insurance, paid vacations, and paid personal days.
TO APPLY: Send Resume and cover letter, along with two writing samples and five references (3 professional and 2 personal) to 614 Shelby Street, Frankfort, KY 40601, Fax (502) 223-0804, or Email email@example.com. No phone calls. Application Deadline: October 1, 2010
Community Farm Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.