Job: Farm Hand on Martha's Vineyard, 2013
The Farm Institute seeks a self-motivated, skilled individual with practical experience in or a strong desire to learn about farm operations. Farm hands will be involved in all aspects of The FARM Institute's pasture-based livestock production including beef cattle, dairy and fiber goats, laying hens, sheep, as well as turkeys and chickens raised for meat. The position also involves but is not limited to basic carpentry, tractor work, meat distribution, mechanics, attending the farmers market, grounds maintenance, record keeping and participation in monthly poultry processing. During the summer you may be expected to work with camp students to help teachers finish farm related projects.
One farm hand position is being offered with a mandatory commitment of one year beginning on or around June 1st.
Hours of Work: This is a full time position requiring 40-50 hours of work. There is a seasonal nature to the position that will require some flexibility when work demands are at their peak (haying, birthing, poultry processing, events) in the summer and slower during the spring and fall. Farm Hands will have 2 days off in a row except in special situations and days off will most likely be week days.
Compensation: This position is a full time, salaried position with benefits. Compensation based on skills and experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES includes the following:
- Assisting in all day to day farm activities
- Animal care (feeding, watering, birthing, moving fences and assisting with associated treatments)
- Poultry (chicken and turkey) processing and clean up
- Field work (mowing, haying, building fences and waterlines)
- Occasional construction or repairs of new or existing farm buildings, structures and facilities
- Assist fellow TFI staff, student groups, volunteers, and interns with farm related projects
- Representing The Farm Institute at various events and farmers markets
- Assembling meat orders for restaurants, the farmers market, the farm stand and stores
YEAR ROUND FARM HAND
The Farm Institute, Marthas Vineyard Island
please contact email@example.com
for more info or to apply.