AmeriCorps*VISTA Food Security Coordinator Job Announcement
Scope: IRC is currently placing an AmeriCorps*VISTA member with IRC San Diego’s Food Security and Community Health Program. Please visit the AmeriCorps website (www.americorps.gov) for more information about the VISTA program.
Under the supervision of the Food Security and Community Health Program Supervisor in San Diego, the Food Security AmeriCorps*VISTA will assist in developing the overall capacity of the Healthy Food Pantry and Nutrition Education programs.
-Design and implement a prevention-centered health and nutrition curriculum for newly arrived refugees and the City Heights community
-Design and implement a Healthy Food Pantry that provides culturally-appropriate, supplemental food assistance to newly arrived refugees
-Coordinate volunteers and develop community relationships to donate healthy foods (including gleaning from local farms) for the Healthy Food Pantry
-Increase financial and program resources for the program
1. University degree preferred.
2. Desire and ability to work with a diverse group of people. Must possess cultural competency skills to work with people of many different backgrounds.
3. Ability to work independently and in a team environment
4. Good written and oral communication skills
5. Interest in health, community development, food justice and refugee concerns.
6. Must be pro-active, innovative, reliable, and detail-oriented.
7. Fluency in a refugee language preferred
8. Must be willing to commit to one year as a full-time volunteer with AmeriCorps*VISTA and IRC and have no outside professional or educational commitments.
For more information about this position, please visit:
To learn more about AmeriCorps*VISTA, please visit:
To learn more about the IRC program in San Diego:
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 10, 2010.