This Position has Been Filled. But Please Check Out Current Positions on our Jobs and Internships Page at http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/
Title: Garden Coordinator for the Garden at Elawa Farm
Type: Eight month position from early April through early December
Location: Lake Forest, Illinois
Compensation: The position will pay an annual salary but will not include benefits.
The Gardeners at Elawa are seeking a coordinator for the 2.2 acre production garden at Elawa Farm in Lake Forest, Illinois. The mission of the Gardeners is to restore and maintain Elawa’s historic garden, to provide locally grown produce and flowers for the community, and to provide education for people interested in growing their own food and flowers organically. Freshly harvested crops, as well as fresh breads and soups made in the on-site kitchen, are sold in an on-site market.
The Garden Coordinator will direct day to day operations in the garden, and assist with garden planning and crop selection, under the oversight of the Gardeners’ Board of Stewards. This is an ideal position for an experienced gardener who is ready to ply his/her growing skills in: an already established garden with a loyal customer base; in good soil maintained with organic practices; in a beautiful setting overlooking 600 acres of oak savanna and open prairie.
We are especially interested in candidates with:
• a strong background in growing vegetables, fruits, herbs and cutting flowers
• a willingness to work with the volunteers who make this garden possible
• experience in vegetable crop rotation, harvesting and storage (root cellar on site)
• experience in cover cropping and composting
• experience in weed and pest control using organic practices
• experience with growing in 4 to 5 foot wide raised beds