Title: Grown In Detroit Produce and Marketing Sales Manager
Location: 1418 Michigan Ave., Detroit 48216
Compensation: $28,800 - $32,000 commensurate with experience plus benefits
Date Posted: December 1, 2010
The Greening of Detroit's mission is to guide and inspire the growth of a greener Detroit through planting and educational programs, environmental leadership, advocacy, and by building community capacity. One of the ways The Greening engages
the community to achieve this mission is through urban gardening and agriculture projects.
Since 2003, The Greening of Detroit has been at the forefront of an emerging movement to achieve a greener city while transforming the food system in Detroit.
Our accomplishments include working with our partners in The Garden Resource Program to provide farming resources and educational opportunities to over 15,000 urban gardeners of all ages each year in the cities of Detroit, Hamtramck, and Highland Park. We operate four unique urban farms to utilize The Greening of Detroit's urban agriculture programs as effective small-scale agricultural sites that provide community led, place-based education, and showcase production based small-farming or gardening models in Detroit.
The Greening of Detroit is seeking a full- time Produce Marketing and Sales Coordinator to support our Urban Agriculture Department and urban farmers participating in the Grown In Detroit cooperative who are producing fruits and vegetables for
sale at farmers markets and to local restaurants. In 2010, Grown In Detroit sold regularly at 6 Detroit Farmers Markets as well as to local restaurants grossing over $50,000. This position requires an individual with strong interest in community-driven
food systems and urban agriculture, the experience and willingness to work with diverse groups, and the ability to collaborate with community organizations. The Produce Marketing and Sales Coordinator reports to the Urban Farms Operation Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the marketing and sale of fruits and vegetables grown in urban farms participating in the Grown in Detroit cooperative. This includes coordinating farmers market and restaurant sales, creating and updating program literature, monitoring and upholding harvest and post-harvest handling standards and practices, supervising sales, processing accounts, and recruiting, training, and supporting participating urban growers.
- Work with Urban Agriculture staff to develop new processing and cooperative use facilities.
- Work with Urban Agriculture staff to develop and implement farm plans for Greening of Detroit operated sites that maximize production to supplement retail and wholesale sales.
- Oversee harvest, post-harvest handling, and sale of fruits and vegetables grown at sites operated by The Greening of Detroit.
- Management of other related projects including coordination of u-pick activities at Greening of Detroit Market Gardens and local produce delivery to a CSA like project called The Fresh Food Share.
- Project based supervision of staff, AmeriCorps members, and volunteers.
The ideal candidate will have 2+ years experience selling vegetables, fruit, and flowers directly to consumers at farmers markets or to local restaurants, including
- Experience owning or operating a business including planning, accounting, and record keeping experience.
- Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers and working with diverse communities.
- Experience teaching youth and/or adults in a farm or garden setting.
- Interest and familiarity with issues relating to local food, food access, and sustainable agriculture, and a genuine appreciation of the urban environment.
- Strong organizational and written/verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in all MS office applications required.
How to Apply:
- Bachelors degree in marketing, community development, natural resources, plant science, or comparable experience.
Please send email of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Use the job title as the subject line. Only potential interviewees will be contacted. Visit our website at www.detroitagriculture.org
The Greening of Detroit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.