ABOUT THE NFSN
The National Farm to School Network sprouted from the desire to support community-based food systems, strengthen family farms, and improve student health by reducing childhood obesity. NFSN is a collaborative led by the Urban & Environmental Policy Institute (UEPI), Occidental College and the Community Food Security Coalition (CFSC), with support from eight Regional Lead Agencies spread all over the country. NFSN coordinates, promotes and expands Farm to School at the state, regional and national levels by focusing efforts on the priority areas of: information development and dissemination, media and marketing, networking, training and technical assistance, policy advocacy, research and evaluation and FoodCorps.
UEPI serves as the umbrella for a variety of affiliated programs addressing work and industry, food and nutrition, housing, transportation, regional and community development, land use, and urban environmental issues. UEPI functions both as an academic center with strong community ties and a community-based organization with a strong research and policy development capacity.
- Develop and organize membership plan with NFSN membership committee to grow and nurture the expanding NFSN including managing organizational database, and assist in creating and maintaining partnerships with national, regional and state organizations
- Work closely with NFSN Outreach and Communications Director to update the Farm to School website and maintain future content to ensure that the site is a critical source of information for the public and create and disseminate a monthly e-newsletter for NFSN membership
- Create and maintain a database of media contacts and Farm to School spokespersons, assist with placing stories on Farm to School in print, broadcast, and online media sources, and coordinate Farm to School’s social media efforts
- Coordinates requests for information/assistance received through website and other mediums, assist with implementing webinars on Farm to School topics
- Assist NFSN staff and regional lead agencies in the updating, development and design of presentations, Farm to School resource packets, fact sheets, reports and publications, blogs, newsletters, and online discussion forums
- Assist with NFSN policy campaigns so that communication strategies, technical assistance, and policy work mutually reinforce and expand Farm to School nationwide
- Participate in NFSN meetings, conference planning and implementation, and assist with special event promotions for Farm to School programs
- Assist with NFSN fundraising efforts as needed
JOB QUALIFICATIONS (REQUIRED)
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or applicable area, and at least five years of professional experience in the areas of membership development, information management, media, and marketing
- Strong computer competencies, especially in web design and database management
- Strong social media experience and engagement in technology
- Experience working at national level.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication and presentation/public speaking skills
- Self-motivated with strong interpersonal skills and commitment to working collaboratively with a wide range of partners and under limited supervision
- Detail-oriented and well organized
- Hard working and dependable, ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Must be willing to work weekends if needed
- Must be willing to travel 8-12 times a year to represent NFSN at meetings and events
Qualifications Preferred but not Required
- Highly preferred – past experience and interest in Farm to School or other Farm to Institution initiatives, Community Food Systems, Public Health, School Nutrition, Agriculture or related fields
- Experience working at the regional or state levels
- Experience working with networks, coalitions or membership based organizations
- Experience with grant writing and fundraising
To apply, submit resume and cover letter to:
The deadline for applications is September 3, 2010.