Program Manager Job at Green Shoots for New Americans farm program
Full-time, hourly, starting at $28,000 annually plus generous benefits package
Journey’s End Refugee Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ the best-qualified personnel without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other reason prohibited by law.
As a refugee resettlement and immigration services provider for the Western New York region, we work to provide refugees with the resources and support they need to become successful, active, and contributing members of the Western New York community.
The Green Shoots for New Americans farm program – Refugee Agricultural Partnership Program (RAPP) is an educational urban farming program, located on Buffalo’s east side, that provides adult refugees adaptive farming and marketing skills. By engaging newly arrived refugees in familiar agricultural practice, Green Shoots seeks to hasten their path toward self-sufficiency by providing a supplemental income, increase their access to healthy foods, and enhance community integration. The Green Shoots Program Manager, Cornell Cooperative Extension of Erie County, and other local partners will train participants on best practices for urban farming in Buffalo, NY.
The Green Shoots for New Americans farm Program Manager is responsible for successfully implementing the work plan detailed in the Office for Refugee Resettlement RAPP grant. Green Shoots is a three-year, federally funded program, created to encourage U.S. refugee engagement in the agricultural sector.
In addition to the seasonal activities involved in running an urban farm, the program includes, but is not limited to, running a CSA program, operating a hydroponics system, participating in local farmers markets, helping refugee farmers find employment on farms, and assisting farmers in accessing rural agricultural land. The Program Manager will be responsible for recruiting and supervising program participants from the refugee community in WNY, working with community-based partners, providing training and technical assistance to the refugee farmers, and carrying out the requirements of the RAPP grant. The Program Manager will administer, monitor, and report on the RAPP program as funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement.
- Participant recruitment and supervision
- Networking and collaboration with community partners
- Developing and implementing marketing and outreach strategies for the CSA program, and other initiatives
- Timely implementation of all aspects of the RAPP farm program, adhering to a high standard of excellence in program delivery
- Quarterly reporting to the project funder
- Judicious oversight of all expenditures contained in the RAPP budget
- Curriculum development for and delivery of classroom instruction
- Facilitation of monthly partner meetings
- Documentation of client participation
- Development of business and community partners
- Other programming around the farm, including Volunteer Days and other public education events
- Maintaining and growing the social media presence of Green Shoots for New Americans
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor in agricultural science, agriculture education, agricultural economics or equivalent degree in a related field. Substantial field experience may be considered in lieu of educational requirements
- At least two years of program management experience
- Demonstrated experience in responsibly and successfully implementing program guidelines and budgets, preferably related to grants
- Knowledge about agricultural processes, equipment, and operations strongly preferred
- Experience working with a diverse population and urban farming strongly preferred
- Demonstrated organizational and managerial skills
- Strong attention to detail and follow-through on projects big and small
- A passion for resolving challenging problems and thinking outside of the box
- Strong ability to work as a member of a team, a willingness to take initiative, and commitment to supporting both the refugee community and urban farming in our community
- License to drive and an insured vehicle
- Ability to lift 40+ pounds
- Fluent English with additional language preferred
- Strong communications, marketing, and social media skills preferred
- Grant writing experience preferred.
Journey’s End is committed to the purpose of providing refugees with the resources and support they need to become successful, active, and contributing members of the Western New York community. The ideal candidate must be self-directed, possess a strong work ethic, and able to work in a team environment, and willing to work occasional weekends and after-hours.
To apply for the Green Shoots for New Americans farm Program Manager Position, Send resume, cover letter, and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include job title in the subject of the email.
Please include phone and email contact in the cover letter.
***Incomplete applications will not be considered.***
Job opening can also be viewed at: http://www.jersbuffalo.org/index.php/employment/category/Green_Shoots_Program_Manager
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/