New Haven Farms is Looking for an Assistant Farm Manager for the 2018 Season in Connecticut
ABOUT NEW HAVEN FARMS:
New Haven Farms nonprofit charitable mission is to promote health and community development through urban agriculture. We transform vacant, contaminated urban land into vibrant and productive organic farms. Our Farm Director and volunteer corps cultivate seven urban farms, and our harvest is made accessible to low-income families who struggle with diet-related chronic diseases and food insecurity through our Farm Based Wellness Program. Referred by their healthcare provider, program participants receive produce baskets combined with farm education, cooking demonstrations, and nutrition education on a weekly basis. For more information about New Haven Farms, visit newhavenfarms.org.
New Haven Farms seeks an energetic individual, committed to urban food production, to fill the full-time seasonal position of the Assistant Farm Manager.
The Assistant Farm Manager (AFM) at New Haven Farms will work directly with the Farm Director, Jacqueline Maisonpierre, to produce high quality organic produce for New Haven Farms, implementing the crop plan on the seven urban gardens collectively managed as one farm. This individual will be responsible for managing the Summer Youth@Work Crew, four New Haven Youth working on the farm for five weeks (July- Early August). Direct farm responsibilities include volunteer and intern management, greenhouse work, transplanting, weeding, bed preparation, harvesting, working with irrigation systems, preparing vegetables for sale and distribution, record keeping, and assisting with Saturday morning farmer’s markets and volunteer work days. The AFM will be responsible for running a open weekly community work day at the Hill garden site.
NEW HAVEN FARMS ASSISTANT FARM MANAGER RESPONSIBILITIES:
Hill Garden – 170 Ward Street
- Work closely with the Farm Director to follow the crop plan and create a crop map for the site
- Serve as the main contact person for the community and the school with regards to this property
- Plan weekly tasks for the Hill garden, working with the Farm Director to create a weekly labor and volunteer plan
Fair Haven Gardens & Distribution
- The AFM will work harvest mornings twice per week
- Assist with necessary farming tasks in Fair Haven gardens
- Prepare produce for weekly CSA shares
- Work New Haven Farms weekly Saturday Markets (9 am – 12 at the 613 Ferry Street garden).
- Assist Farm Director with the setup and takedown of the market
- Manage volunteers during open volunteer time
Youth @ Work (4 member summer youth crew – 25 hours/week July – Early August)
- Assist with Youth @ Work hiring process
- Work with the Farm Director to create and follow a weekly work plan
- Manage Youth@Work team during their 25 hour work week
Administrative and Organizational
- Track and log sales for Saturday market – specifically SNAP & WIC transactions
- Attend biweekly team meetings
- 2+ years experience working on an organic production farm, preferably an organic vegetable farm
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Desire to deepen experience in all aspects of small scale urban organic vegetable production
- Desire to work outside in all weather conditions
- Reliable transportation, ability to drive a manual transmission (or the commitment to learn)
- Demonstrated management experience
- Ability to supervise volunteers, youth, and lead volunteer work days
- Experience in taking independent initiative and working either solely or with small volunteer groups to ensure the day’s tasks are completed efficiently
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Commitment to food access issues and the mission of New Haven Farms
- Ability to communicate effectively the mission and core program activities to farm visitors, funders, board members and community residents
- Strong work ethic
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work independently
- Punctual and energetic
- Great sense of humor
- Flexibility to work early harvest mornings, and Saturday mornings. Tentative schedule Tuesday-Saturday
- Demonstrated skill in multi-tasking and flexibility to balance multiple demands at different farm sites in order to meet production and programming objectives
- Experience and passion for working with urban youth
- Confidence, comfort and experience with diverse communities in low income neighborhoods
- Other duties as assigned
- Fluency in Spanish
- Community development experience
- Garden Education experience
Hourly employee, rate commensurate with experience, 16-40 hours per week total of 37 Weeks. March-November. Latest start date April 16, preferred start date March 19. Hours will be 16-20 for first week or two depending on start date, and 16-20 hours for the last three weeks of the season. Full time, 40 hours per week May 15- September 30. Guaranteed a maximum of 1,300 hours for the season. Overtime is not available for this position. There are no employment benefits associated with this position. Workers compensation insurance is fully covered by New Haven Farms. The part-time employee is not entitled to any paid holidays.
We are looking to recruit an individual who is interested in staying on for multiple seasons. While the work tapers in the Winter we are hopeful to bring the right candidate on full time in the future. Our organization is growing and we are looking for the right person to grow into the position as we expand.
To apply for the Assistant Farm Manager Job at New Haven Farms please send a cover letter and resume to Anna Grace Barry at Anna@newhavenfarms.org by February 15, 2018.
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/