Job: Full time Farm Assistant Manager/Crew Leader on Organic Vegetable Farm in PennsylvaniaDuration: November 2014 - November 2015
- Exact start and end dates are negotiable.
- Longer-term employment and a permanent position is available (this is based on employee’s performance, farm’s success, and discretion of farm owner).
- If identified for a longer term position, you will be granted greater responsibilities and, following the appropriate training period, will be given creative license to fulfill those responsibilities; the management position can be paid a higher rate due to the drive and capability of the individual.
- Full time work during peak season (May 1-October 31) is 60 hr/wk, off season hours are between 40-50 hr/wk.
- As this position is managerial, the employee may work some weekends.
- Employees will engage in several aspects of production and marketing on this diversified organic farm, under the direction of the farm owner. Including, but not limited to:
- seeding, transplanting, weeding, irrigation, harvest, and packing of produce;
- marketing and deliveries of produce via farmers’ markets, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), and wholesale accounts;
- general maintenance of farm infrastructure, cleaning, basic repairs, and painting;
- operation of large and small tractors for cultivation, harvest, and tillage.
- operation of small engine equipment such as mowers, trimmers, walk behind tractor, etc.; assisting with livestock management (e.g., feeding, cleaning, caring for, rotating, and processing pastured poultry).
Imperative: Timeliness; Hustle; Capable of clearly communicating questions, concerns, and needs; Strong Work Ethic; 1 full year of experience on an organic vegetable farm in PA or the neighboring region.
Important: Balance attention to detail and a quick work pace; Willing to work outside in any weather; Maintain positive attitude in stressful conditions; Experience with manual labor/long, physically demanding work days; Varied tractor experience with ability to change out implements and troubleshoot with patience.
Preferred: Understanding of sustainable/organic poultry operations; Flexible on learning./training styles; Ability to handle constructive criticism at performance review sessions with grace; Accept and promote a communal living space; Experience managing a crew, keeping others on task; comparable leadership roles.
- $1650 monthly salary
- 5 paid sick days
- Housing in our large historic farmhouse full of modern amenities. Residing on the farm is a requirement.
- Seasonal produce
Be advised that No pets are allowed; Vacation time is available, but must be planned well in advance and not scheduled during peak season; There will be performance review sessions between the farm owner and the employee within the first six months of employment; Employees must contribute personal time to house cleaning, cutting firewood, landscaping, etc.; and no smoking nor illegal drugs are permitted in the house or on the property.
Elaine Lemmon, farmer/owner email@example.com 717-253-7797. Provide resume, cover letter, and 3 references via email. Review of applications begins immediately. Positions will remain open until filled. Phone/video interviews and farm visits will be arranged with qualified applicants.