Red Dog Farm in Washington State, a 23-acre organic farm with 13 acres in vegetable and berry production is now offering field crew jobs for 2012.Located on the Olympic Peninsula, Red Dog Farm is nestled in the beautiful Center Valley of Chimacum, Washington. They produce crops year-round and sell to three local farmers markets, to local restaurants and wholesalers, through our CSA program, and at our own self-serve farmstand. Red Dog Farm is going into its fifth season with farm owner/operator Karyn Williams. Laura Llewellyn, field crew manager, joins her for her second season. They currently have openings for five full time field crew positions for the 2012 season. Applications are accepted and reviewed on an on-going basis until the positions are filled. Compensation is hourly wage of $9 per hour plus fresh produce from their fields. For more information about the jobs and how to apply click 'Read More' below. Do not send applications to beginningfarmers.org.
- Field Crew positions begin as early as February 1st and as late as May 15th.
- Time commitment will be negotiated before hiring and is at a minimum through the end of October.
- This position requires more than full time. Expect 40- 45 hours regularly with some weeks as high as 50- 55 hours during the peak season (June-Sept)
- One day of unpaid vacation per month of contract is allowed and encouraged with sufficient notice.
Essential Job Functions
- The primary responsibility is to perform field work including but not limited to greenhouse work, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, hand weeding, hoeing, moving irrigation, washing and packing produce, and delivering.
- There are additional field crew roles, such as working farmers markets and specializing in washing/ packing.
- We also seek someone with tractor driving experience and/or equipment maintenance experience. Consideration will be given to those with past experience and/or a strong aptitude to learn.
- One season previous farm experience preferred.
- Strong interest in farming necessary.
- Good communication skills.
- Energetic, fun and motivated personality.
- Excellent work ethic and positive attitude.
- Conscientious and able to work with all kinds of people.
- Strong back and knees.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to commit to staying for the full season.
- Preference given to those interested in staying on for multiple seasons.
Please submit a current resume, contact information for two references, and a letter telling us how you meet the minimum qualifications and why you’d like to be considered for a field crew position. Materials may be submitted using one of the following options:
MAIL: Red Dog Farm
P.O. Box 402
Chimacum, WA 98325
Questions can be directed to the email above or call (360)732-0223.