We are seeking a qualified person or couple to partner with at Harmony Homestead Farm in south western Vermont to live on the farm and run agricultural operations including small CSA and and farm maintenance.
Taking Applications now through January 31st, 2018.
We are a 100 acre rustic homestead farm located on a dead end road in southwest Vermont. We are situated on beautiful land that consists of a mixture of pastures and woods. Walking trails lead from the pastures through forest and back again. We are built with about 90% repurposed materials and we are now frequently sawing lumber from the property on our own band-sawmill. We have organic gardens, horses, llamas, goats & chickens, cats & dogs. We grow food organically for our CSA and local markets. We are about continuing to create and operate an environmentally conscious organic farm and artist retreat that will be home to a variety of ongoing programs that will include temporary visits for respite, creative inspiration & rejuvenation and participation in life skills and personal development workshops and educational opportunities with a special emphasis on self reliance and sustainable living. We are dedicated to teaching and mentoring. We typically host a seasonal roster of interns and apprentices.
Organic Farm Operations Manager Position Qualifications:
- 5 years/seasons experience, preferably consecutively, all phases & facets of growing veggies (CSA and/or market gardening)
- Organic growing principles & practices including soil structure, composting, weed & pest mngmt., companions et. all
- Greenhouse mngmt. cultivation etc.
- Animal care experience, large and small
- Experience & good grasp of mechanical principles of wide variety of equipment operation/usage and light repair & maintenance
- Excellent communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Stable, physically fit, well balanced, intuitive, level headed problem solving attitude.
- OTHER; Preferable additional skills include introductory or beyond knowledge of permaculture, good computer skills, some writing & marketing skills, rigging, handy man/fix-it skills, good improvisor, some carpentry
- ***No smokers or substance abusers will qualify***
- This “live on” organic vegetable farmer position is essentially for a person(s) to fill the role as farmer/caretaker & operations manager for a small operational vegetable CSA and/or market gardening farm. It will involve year round operation and maintenance of the farm. It is an opportunity for you to be the farmer without having to buy the farm while in partnership with the farm owners. You will be responsible for most grounds maintenance, though not 100%, all snow removal/plowing, firewood gathering and most of the work involved in caretaking a farm. You will have access to equipment and other available resources. You will work in conjunction with the farm owners and other activities on the property that you will not be responsible for but will be a part of such as farm visits, overnight stays, special events & gatherings, development of value added products etc.
Organic Farm Operations Manager:
Profit share/risk share arrangement to be negotiated and agreed upon. Outcome share will be directly related to production success of agricultural operations after expenses (CSA, Market, some value added, plus possible self generated craft/homemade product). Guidance, training and access to farm equipment is included and considered critical to successful outcome.
Link to farm Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Harmony-Homestead-Farm-188693691161105/
Living Arrangement: Cabin available suitable for two and possibly one or two children. Separate kitchen building. Currently shared separate bath and possible completion of private composting bath attached to cabin plus nearby composting outhouse. Wood heat.
TO APPLY FOR THE ORGANIC FARM OPERATIONS MANAGER POSITION: PLEASE SEND RESUME AND/OR EMAIL FOR APPLICATION. INCLUDE SOME INITIAL BIO INFORMATION IN FIRST EMAIL. INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONDUCTED TO FILL POSITION. Send emails/resume to email@example.com Use “Farmer Partner” in Subject line.
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/