- Planting, cultivating and harvesting of all crops.
- Participate in implementing nutrient and pest management plans, including composting, manuring, crop rotations and cover cropping.
- Safe and proper operation and maintenance of all farm equipment and vehicles.
- Starting and managing plants in the greenhouse.
- Selling produce at farmers markets and farm stand.
- Teach basic field tasks to staff, crew and volunteers as directed.
- Providing support and supervision to crew members and volunteers as directed.
- Transport equipment, produce, and staff in company or personal vehicle.
- Actively participate in evaluations of crew members as directed.
- Contributes to developing personal work objectives and evaluating work performance, verbally and in writing.
- Responsible for the safety of self and other individuals under your supervision during work hours. Continuously evaluate the physical environment to minimize or eliminate potentially hazardous situations.
- When necessary, redirect and diffuse disruptive, escalating behaviors calmly, using approved, acceptable techniques.
- Attend Left Foot meetings and events in off-farm hours as directed.
- Communicate with customers, crew, staff and volunteers with respect and with consideration for the sophistication of the audience.
- Other duties as assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work will be performed primarily outdoors in the open, as well as in an office, vehicle, cooler, or covered outdoor area in all types of weather. Physical stressors may include changes in temperature and precipitation, standing for long periods, routinely lifting up to 50 lbs. and occasionally lifting 75-100 lbs., bending, stooping, and squatting. Psychological stressors may include meeting production deadlines, balancing competing demands, communicating with customers and making decisions under stressful conditions.
- Two year degree or equivalent experience in horticulture, production agriculture or a related field, and at least one season of commercial organic farming experience
- Proficiency in recordkeeping and knowledge of organic certification requirements
- Proficiency in the use of the web, word processing and spreadsheet software
- Must be flexible, self-directed and motivated, able to work independently and as a member of a team, and readily adapt to change
- Interest in working with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- A valid WA State drivers license, minimum Washington State auto liability insurance and good driving record required at time of hire. Experience operating both automatic and manual transmission vehicles.
- Appointment is contingent upon the outcome of a criminal background check.
HOURS AND COMPENSATION:
- Salary starting at $9.50 per hour.
- This is a part time position, with actual hours required varying seasonally and weighted heavily toward the summer growing season.
To APPLY: Send Resume and cover letter addressing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org with “LFO Production Assistant” in the subject line.