As a small farm, they must add value to our products by selling most of them directly to the end user whether that is a family or another organic farm. They process our own poultry and produce organic seed for small seed companies and for other organic farms to plant. They also grind our grains into poultry feeds for our use and to sell to other organic farms.
They are looking to hire as soon as possible so we can begin training the successful applicant in advance of the 2013 growing season, with an emphasis on livestock, crop and vegetable production. Projects on the near term horizon include: farm scale composting, “green” energy and building projects, and expanding educational activities. Work would be split between both locations, but would be primarily at the larger Frederick County location.
Specific duties include:
- operation and maintenance of tractors and equipment
- care and feeding of livestock, and maintaining fencing for rotational grazing
- planting, cultivating and harvesting of row crops and vegetables
- processing poultry and grinding feed
The desired applicant would have some of the following qualifications:
- Interest in organic/sustainable farming and local/regional food systems
- Two years of farming experience
- Experience operating farm tractors and equipment
- Experience with row crop, vegetable, hay, seed, beef or poultry production
- Mechanical ability to do simple repairs
- Related skills in any of these areas: carpentry, welding, plumbing, electrical, masonry, etc
- Relevant educational background (agricultural, environmental, life sciences, etc.)Compensation commensurate with experience and abilities. Medical benefits available and housing available at the Frederick location.
Having your own transportation would be appreciated but is not required. If you are interested, it would be helpful if you send salary requirements and a letter of interest and/or a resume.
Contact Jeff by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
And have a look at the website if you are interested, http://nicksorganicfarm.com/