Produce Project Farm Assistant Job at Capital Roots in Troy, New York – 2016
About Capital Roots: Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to nourish healthy communities by providing access to fresh foods and green space for all.
TITLE: Produce Project Farm Assistant
REPORTS TO: Produce Project Farm Manager
Capital Roots’ Produce Project is a year-round job training program that increases employment and educational opportunity for underserved youth. After school and during the summer, high school students learn and participate in the operation of a 2 acre farm, and are engaged in job and life skills curriculum. The Produce Project Farm Assistant helps the Farm Manager in all duties related to efficiently running the farm. It is a temporary full-time seasonal position lasting 28 weeks (April to November). Hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 830am – 430pm, though they are subject to change based on seasonal and daylight hour shifts.
- Assisting Farm Manager in all farm duties, including production, produce delivery, land management, small machine use, and recordkeeping
- Maintenance of farm infrastructure, tools, and equipment
- Assisting in the preparation for and management of volunteer groups, particularly on Thursdays and Saturdays
- Leading groups of Produce Project Student Trainees in farm tasks
- Farming experience required – at least a one season apprenticeship
- Driver’s license with clean record required
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions and lift heavy objects
- Ability to complete complex farm tasks quickly and accurately
- Facility working independently and as part of a group
- Capable of making minor repairs to equipment and infrastructure; experience with carpentry, small engine use & maintenance recommended
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Enthusiasm for food and farming, and the ability to positively motivate others in the field
- Comfort working among a diverse set of community members
- Displays initiative and thinks and acts creatively.
- A willingness to roll up one’s sleeves and contribute as needed to advance the program and organization
SALARY & BENEFITS:
- This is a full-time, seasonal/temporary position (April to November), paid at an hourly rate of $11/hr.
- The Farm Assistant also receives a share of produce from the farm.
To learn more about Capital Roots, go to www.capitalroots.org. Capital Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position, especially candidates of color. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We will not discriminate in our hiring on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.
Send cover letter and resume to:
Matthew Schueler, Grow Center Planner
594 River Street, Troy NY 12180
NO CALLS PLEASE!