Primary responsibilities will include assisting the farm manager with:
- Reconfiguring high tunnels;
- Building a seedling and tree nursery;
- Implementing the crop plan;
- Keeping good records for maintaining the farm’s organic certification;
- Organizing and working with volunteers;
- Set-up and operation of farm-market stands;
- General site organization and tidiness.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
This position is ideal for a candidate looking to gain additional skills and valuable experience in sustainable agriculture. Candidates with a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience are encouraged to apply. Additional qualifications include:
- Growing annual crops for market and/or working at a farmer’s market;
- Trained in botany, construction, ecosystem restoration, permaculture design or similar field;
- Good communication, interpersonal, and computer skills;
- Detail oriented and fast paced;
- Capable of leading group activities;
- Have some experience using small to medium size machinery;
- Be fit, hearty and prepared to work in most weather conditions;
- Interested in farming professionally;
- Have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and a good driving record;
- Available a minimum of 4 months during the growing season; preference given to candidates available for the full season (March – November).
Compensation and Benefits
This is a part-time, seasonal position that pays $10/hour. Candidates must be available 25-35 hours per week, March through November. Weekend and mid-week hours will be required.
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter describing how your experience, skills, and interests make you uniquely qualified for this position by email with the subject line “Seasonal Farm Assistant” to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to: Accokeek Foundation c/o Seasonal Farm Assistant, 3400 Bryan Point Road, Accokeek, MD 20607.