Essential Functions (up to 30 hours/week):
- Coordinates and plans the Taliesin Vegetable Garden in collaboration with the Taliesin Vegetable Garden Supervisor throughout the season.
- Provides the day-to-day maintenance of the Taliesin Vegetable Garden including planting seeds, weeding, watering, composting, harvesting, applying organic pest control, mulching, washing produce, etc.
- Makes recommendations for succession planting, composting, and other garden best practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Previous experience with organic vegetable production on a larger scale than home garden.
- Willingness to participate in Taliesin life and actively interact with the residential community.
- Ability to perform gardening work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, etc.
- Ability to use and maintain basic landscape management tools, including pruning equipment, irrigation equipment, rakes, shovels, and cultivating tools.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with diverse audiences, including Foundation and School staff, students, residents, and volunteers.
- Ability to work safely at all times.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in all kinds of weather in suitable clothing.
- Ability to multi-task and switch priorities of projects as needs of job change.
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, take time to understand the points being made, ask questions as appropriate, and not interrupt at inappropriate times.
- Able to work as a team and independently.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Agricultural or related training or degree.
- Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) or community garden/farming experience including in a supervisory capacity.
- Familiarity with Frank Lloyd Wright, Taliesin, and the missions of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation and School of Architecture.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physical Demands: While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and consistently talk or hear; and rarely taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and regularly carry 15-20 pounds the length of the garden area. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to send a letter of interest and resume including contact information for references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 13, 2012.