Seed Farm Crew Member Wanted at the Center for Natural Lands Management in Tenino, WA – For immediate hire (2018)!
The Center for Natural Lands Management (CNLM) is a nonprofit 501(3)(c) organization, created in 1990, whose mission is the perpetual stewardship of natural and created conservation lands, sensitive species, and their resident ecosystems. Stewardship activities are currently divided between California and Washington. In the State of Washington, CNLM’s South Puget Sound Program focuses on conservation of one of the rarest ecosystems in the United States, the prairie and oak woodlands of Cascadia, especially those lands and habitats within the South Sound Region. In that Region, the Program aims to protect, restore habitats, and support recovery of rare species that are candidates for federal listing.
CNLM’s Seed Production/Nursery team produces native seed with the goal of filling the seed needs of our restoration partners throughout Washington and Oregon. We produce seed of over 100 native plant species (including rare and endangered species) on 4 production sites, totaling 20 acres.
SEED FARM CREW JOB DESCRIPTION
The Field Crew Member (Seed Production Technician) will have the opportunity to step into an exciting and unique agricultural system that has grown significantly over the past few years. We are looking for candidates with a positive attitude who are motivated, communicative, and hardworking and ready to jump in. Ideal candidates have experience in an agriculture, nursery, or conservation capacity. This person will join a diverse crew in performing tasks which include, but are not limited to weeding, harvesting seed, transplanting. Must be comfortable doing repetitive tasks over prolonged periods of time, adhering to proper tool use and body mechanics.
SEED FARM CREW QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to do repetitive tasks over prolonged periods of time
- Ability to ask for direction as needed
- Comfortable working with minimal direct supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work with a diverse group of people
- Positive attitude in all types of weather
- Sense of humor
- Willingness to use herbicide as needed (minimally)
- Farm experience and/or seed production experience
- Experience operating tractors and/or other farm machinery
- Interest in Washington native plant species
SEED FARM CREW EMPLOYMENT DETAILS
- Position to begin immediately.
- Season duration: 6+ months
- Working Hours: This is an hourly position, generally Monday-Friday from 8-4:30. No more than 40 hours/week.
- Compensation: $15 – 16.50 DOE plus benefits. Benefits include medical/dental/vision insurance; paid holidays; vacation and sick time accrual.
TO APPLY FOR THE SEED FARM CREW
Hiring immediately. Applications accepted until position is filled. For official position description and questions contact Sierra Smith, Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/