Apply to be an Urban Farm Intern at New Haven Farms – 2018
ABOUT NEW HAVEN FARMS:
New Haven Farms’ nonprofit charitable mission is to promote health and community development through urban agriculture. We transform vacant, contaminated urban land into vibrant and productive organic farms. Our Farm Manager and volunteer corps cultivate 8 urban farms, and our harvest is made accessible to low-income families who struggle with diet-related chronic diseases and food insecurity. Farm members receive produce baskets combined with farm education, cooking demonstrations, and nutrition education on a weekly basis. For more information about New Haven Farms, visit newhavenfarms.org.
URBAN FARM INTERN POSITION SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Farm is really the heart of our organization—our farm is the home base to our programming and at the core of all our work. Our urban farms produce nutrient dense organic vegetables, last year yielding 18,000lbs of produce from less than an acre of land. As an Urban Farm Intern you will work with our experienced farm director, to plant, cultivate, water and harvest the produce that gets distributed to the community. This is a wonderful opportunity to get your hands dirty, learn about urban organic vegetable production on reclaimed land, and most importantly enjoy the satisfaction of being outside and growing healthy food!
- Desire to learn all aspects of small scale organic vegetable production in an urban setting
- Able to communicate effectively with multicultural and low-income individuals
- Available to commit at least 20 hours, up to 30 hours per week May- October (flexible for student schedules as well, May-August)
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) – preferred but not essential.
- Dedicated to the mission of New Haven Farms – “Promote Health and Community Development through Urban Agriculture”
- Ability to lift 40lbs
- Desire to work outside in all conditions
- Ability to work independently
- Reliable transportation
Urban Farm Intern Compensation:
This is an unpaid position. We can work with individuals to secure funding from another source, such as a their university . Interns may also part-take in a workshare program in which they receive a share of farm vegetables each week.
Apply to be an Urban Farm Intern:
Please email cover letter and resume to Anna Grace Barry at email@example.com. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis the and position is open until filled.
To learn more about farming jobs and internships or to post an opportunity on beginningfarmers.org, go to: http://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/