Urban Farm Training Program in Brooklyn, NY - Have you been dreaming about farming?
The Youth Farm in Brooklyn, NY offers one of NYC's only farm training programs for beginning farmers. No prior experience necessary -- just a passion for food systems change, a willingness to work hard, and ability to commit to our intensive program.
Our program offers adults the chance to experience what it takes to farm and explore a career in organic agriculture through hands-on training on a 1 acre diversified farm. As an apprentice at the Youth Farm you will gain many valuable growing skills necessary for cultivating a wide variety of vegetables, flowers and herbs appropriate to our region. Through this intensive 22-hr per week commitment, you will gain the invaluable experience of nurturing crops and soil day to day and gain a sense for the physical and mental energy required to run a small farming operation that produces high quality vegetables, beautiful flowers, and a rich and harmonious community space.
For those interested in transitioning to a career in agriculture, we aim to provide as immersive an experience as possible, by providing focused training on one site, where you will be part of the growing experience, from seed to harvest.
Training Program Components:
- Hands-on farm work on a 1 acre diversified farm
- Formal workshops in Botany, Soil Science, Crop Planning, Record Keeping, Mushrooms and more...
- Rotations in Propagation, Irrigation, Composting, Flower Production, CSA/Farmers Market management and Farm Management
- Field trips to other urban farms
- Weekly Farm Walks to develop observational skills
- Working with youth
What can you do with your Certificate? Our past apprentices have gone on to do great things, such as:
• Manage the 1 acre Youth Farm at the Chicago Botanical Garden
• Co-Manage 2-acre Cut Flower operations
• Accept jobs as gardening coordinators at NYC schools
• Manage NYC Greenmarkets
• Manage their own urban agriculture and landscaping businesses
• Enhance existing or launch new wellness and nutrition consulting businesses
• Work in floral design, and more...
April 20th - Nov. 13th
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 8-3pm and sometimes 11-7pm when on Market or CSA Rotation
$1100, paid in installments
For more information, please visit our website: http://hspsfarm.blogspot.com/p/urban-farm-training-program_10.html
You can also email Farm Manager Molly Culver: firstname.lastname@example.org