Randall’s Island Park Alliance, Inc. Job Opening Notice - Seasonal Urban Farmer & EducatorOfficial Job Title: Randall’s Island Park Worker; Department: Horticulture; Job Type: Seasonal - 40 hours per week - 9 months duration Salary Range: $15.00 - $17.00/hour depending on experience; Duration: March 2 – November 28, 2015 Work Location: Randall’s Island Park, New York City POSITION DESCRIPTION The Randall's Island Urban Farm offers free day trips to schools and community groups in NYC to teach about how their food is grown, making good food choices, and cultivating a nutritious diet. More information can be found at http://www.randallsisland.og/environment/urban-farm. The Urban Farmer & Educator will report directly to the Urban Farm Manager and the Director of Horticulture and work with other members of the Horticulture Crew to maintain the Randall’s Island Urban Farm. The position will runs from March through November.
• Work with the Randall’s Island Horticulture Crew and Urban Farm Manager to assist with planting, preparation, and maintenance of the Urban Farm including: soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, trellising, planting, and composting.
• Assist with all educational activities held on the Urban Farm including preparation of the farm for student visits, lesson planning, creation of educational materials, and scheduling volunteer and student visits.
• Assist the Urban Farm Manager with record keeping of harvest yields, disease, and pest control efforts.
• Assist the Urban Farm Manager to care for a flock of chickens, including watering and feeding.
• Assist in writing weekly blog posts about the Urban Farm.
• Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
• Perform other general tasks as assigned by the Urban Farm Manager or Director of Horticulture.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
• Familiar with organic and sustainable farm practices
• Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools
• Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
• Ability to perform physical labor; must be able to lift up to 50lbs
• Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team
• Flexibility to work overtime and weekends
• Valid driver license
• Coursework in introductory biology, ecology, or related field
• Experience with educational children’s programming
• Experience with AgSquared, Sketch-UP, and other farm record software a plus
• Good communication and leadership skills
• Ability to use light power equipment and hand tools
• An awareness and passion for health, nutrition and food justice issues
• Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness throughout the park
To apply, please complete an application online at:
OR download an application and send to:
Randall’s Island Park Alliance, Inc.
24 West 61st Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10023
Fax: (212) 830-7710
**Please include a cover letter**