Twin Star Orchards in New Paltz, New York is seeking an orchard manager to oversee the day-to-day management of all orchard operations. Twin Star Orchards is the home orchard for Brooklyn Cider House, an award-winning craft hard cider company. Twin Star features a mix of dessert and heirloom cider apples. The farm’s underlying philosophy is that “ugly apples taste better.” This philosophy translates into low-impact farming practices that produce “ugly” yet delicious fruit for our hard cider and for our pick-your-own business in the fall. With a small but dedicated team, the farm manager is responsible for carrying out the mission of ugly apples on the 200-acre property.
Orchard Manager Responsibilities
- Manage crew of 4-5 orchard workers
- Coordinate pest management, pruning, thinning, trellising, harvesting with the support of a consultant and crew leader
- Maintain detailed records
- Ensure equipment and grounds are well maintained
- Develop market for apples
- Capital planning
- General administration including payroll, bookkeeping, etc.
- 2+ years of farm management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture of a related field is preferred but not required
- Extensive knowledge of apples, fruit, or stonefruit
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Excellent communication skills (Spanish language ability is a plus)
- Passion for sustainable agriculture and quality food (appreciation for hard cider is a plus)
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with other members of the team
- Pesticide applicator license or desire to secure licensing
Work Schedule and Compensation
This is a permanent, salaried position averaging 50 hrs/wk, but can range from less than 40/wk to 60/wk, depending on season, Monday through Friday or Monday through Saturdays during harvest. Competitive salary commensurate with experience, plus yearly bonus based on net profit.
To Apply for the Orchard Manager Position
Send résumé, cover letter, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain opened until filled, with a target start date of May 15, 2017.