Farm and Grounds Manager Job at Urban Farm in Hartford, Connecticut
KNOX seeks an experienced and dedicated individual to assist and supervise micro entrepreneurs in the development and management of the Hartford Grown Headquarters (HGH) urban farm at KNOX’s Laurel Street location. The HGH urban farm will be community driven. As such, duties will be split between grounds and farm management and connecting community farmers with buyers and sellers in Connecticut’s agriculture world. The HGH will also serve as an environmental education center for the Hartford community. The Farm and Grounds Manager will work closely with KNOX’s Community Gardens and Education Manager to create and maintain demonstration projects for community members and groups to engage with through workshops, fields trips, and summer camps.
This position requires full time 40-hour weeks, Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM. Occasional weekends and extended hours will be required as necessary during the growing season. The work will primarily be outdoors with accompanying office duties.
• Serve as a liaison between HGH farmers and the CT Department of Agriculture
• Connect HGH farmers with local restaurants and wholesale accounts
• Assist in the development and maintenance of demonstration projects at site
• Assist KNOX Green Space Manager in upkeep of KNOX grounds
• Maintain database of CT Agriculture resources and accounts
• Place supply orders
• Educate customer base on value of locally, organically grown produce
• Create niche markets of ethnic crops that appeal to the Hartford community
• Supervise interns and volunteers on a regular basis
• Must have a minimum 2 years of experience on a working farm
• Must be able to multi-task, and have excellent organizational and year-ahead planning skills.
• Must have a demonstrated history working with diverse populations of people KNOX, Inc. 3/15/15
• Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds
• Experience in networking with local businesses; strong connections in Connecticut’s agriculture world desired
• Must have excellent horticultural skills and knowledge of how to maintain landscapes and plants; horticultural degrees welcome but not necessary
• Must have knowledge of various trees, shrubs, perennials, and annuals
• Must have strong managerial and leadership qualities
• Experience with Integrated Pest Management; experience with IPM in an interior setting preferred
• Hartford residency and fluency in Spanish a plus
• Pruning skills and landscape design experience is a benefit
Interested persons can contact Emily Petersen firstname.lastname@example.org