Responsibilities will include:
· Working with Farm Director to develop responsible and realistic annual budget.
· Developing and implementing an annual farming plan including planting dates, crop varieties, crop rotations and cover crops.
· Planting, weeding, watering, managing fertilizers, pesticides and harvesting produce.
· Managing weekly distribution and pickup for shareholders and donated produce.
· Supervising work of staff, volunteers, work share members and seasonal interns.
Minimum 5 years of farming/horticultural experience
Minimum 3 years of personnel supervisory experience
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Mechanical experience preferred
Ability to lift 50 pounds.
Ability to walk, stand, kneel, drive, bend for long periods of time
Ability to engage in other strenuous tasks as necessary including but not limited to tractor and implement operation, tractor and implement repair, tractor, implement and vehicle maintenance, etc.
Valid Driver’s License
Criminal Background and child abuse clearance
Knowledge and skills needed:
Operation and maintenance of tractors, tools, and equipment.
Soil and nutrient management.
Pest and weed management
Financial and yield management skills
Record keeping skills for crop production, fertilizer and pesticide use and as necessary for Food Alliance Certification.
Mechanical ability to do simple repairs.
This is a full time permanent position with expectations of 50+hrs/week in season, with some weekend work during the planting and growing season. Winter months are less intensive. Benefits include paid vacation/sick leave, medical, and an IRA. Housing is also available. The position is supervised by the Farming Director. See our website for more information about our organization, www.pennypackfarm.org.
To apply: please submit a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com. Application deadline is Wednesday, November 14, 2012.